Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Monterey Jazz Festival Collection  (Read 4491 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Monterey Jazz Festival Collection
« on: June 06, 2009, 01:44:10 AM »
Stanford University is in charge of archiving all the recordings and videos of the longest running jazz festival in the world. I've had the pleasure to go to the last 13 festivals and the talent it draws is amazing. Stanford's music library has been busy digitizing this collection and it's now online. Much of the festivals 52 years was captured on tape and apparently a large number were stored under the Arena stage! If you don't know, this is an outdoor venue so you can imagine that there was some careful transfers that had to be made of these historic recordings.
I was at Stanford a couple of months ago doing some research (on tape recordings,.. what else?) and the place was buzzing with final preparations to get this site online.
Here's the link.
Enjoy!

http://collections.stanford.edu/mjf/page.action?forward=home
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Re: Monterey Jazz Festival Collection
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 06:25:05 AM »
My Friend,

Thanks for your research and this wonderful information and link. As a jazz lover I am just amazed that festival went on for as long as it did while producing great talent. I wonder with something be done like this for the great  Newport Jazz Festival that helped Duke Ellington sell more LP's than he had at anytime prior. That was the "Duke At Newport" with Paul Gonzalves playing 28 (?) choruses that caused people to start dancing all over the place. Those were some great times. They don't have festival like those anymore. Now when I see marketing for a jazz festival it includes everything but true jazz. What a shame!

Happy Dad's Day my friend.

Bob
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:08:37 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 10:09:25 AM »
Hey Steve,
Thanks for the link! I'm looking forward to listening to those performances.
Take care.
Romo
Managing Director
The Tape Project

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »
Well Iron Man Steve,

I was on the verge of getting the FBI on your case but finally got the Maria Schneider stuff today and I am so grateful to you my friend. That's a run on sentence isn't it(smile)? Steve I don't have to tell you what this means to me. You have had a sense of my love and great affection for this lady's music and first rate orchestra over time. My heart is glad that you would think of me when you went concert shopping. I am listening to this great music as I write this email to you.  I will have to stop until the music is complete. Sorry friend this music is meant to listen to and enjoy.

My friend I am back to typing this email and can hear you clapping and enjoying this great music at the concert.  Steve, if you don't have her "Concert In The Garden" CD you must rush out and get it. That album brings tears to my eyes whenever I hear this great music. Of all the CD's she had cut this one is the most emotional for me. Steve you have done my heart really good. And by the way, I've never heard Ms. Schneider speak. She has a beautiful voice that reflects her beautiful music. You can certainly hear Gil Evans and Claude Thornhill in her writings. Anyone wanting to know specifics about what Steve has done for me can ask Iron Man (with a heart of gold)

Steve. Thank you so much my friend for getting this treasure to me. Thank you also for the flyer. You are a most thoughtful friend.

Bob

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:11:01 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:39:07 PM »
Hi Bob,

I'm glad that you finally got it. All the thanks that I need is to hear that you're enjoying that recording. These are learning experiences for me and for the most part fun (trying to get rid of that airplane noise was NOT fun but after many hours, I just end up toning it down a little a left it as part of the "live" event).
She seems like a real sweetheart and really charmed the crowd.
I will pick up "Concert in the Garden" at first chance. I really enjoyed that show and thanks for pointing her out for me.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades