TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Hello,  (Read 6500 times)

Offline Satch

• View Profile
Hello,
« on: June 06, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »
I'm looking into getting a reel to reel and discovered this site.

My stereo system includes Martin Logan Spire speakers with M.L. Depth i sub, Ayre V-5xe amp, Cary SLP 98P tube preamp with NOS tubes and a Scheu Analog turntable. Oh yeah, I have some digital stuff too, but its nothing really to post about here. :)

I'm kinda new to the audiophile scene and have received a lot of help from the Martin Logan Owners Club where I've been a member since Oct. '07.

I live in Cocoa Beach, Fl. and I don't know anybody around here that is into high end audio.

Just wanted to introduce myself before I started digging around for info.

Thanks for this cool site.

Satch

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
Re: Hello,
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:53:10 AM »
Hi Satch,
Welcome to our site, glad you deciced to check us out. Feel free to ask questions and browse around I am sure you will find all the help you may need here, some of the guys are really knowledgable.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 03:54:26 PM »
Hello Satch,
Welcome to the Tape Project forum.
Thanks for joining us. You'll find a lot of very friendly and knowledgeable folks here. As well as those interested in learning more about tape machines, playback, electronics and of course excellent music.

Happy listening. Take care.
Romo
Managing Director
The Tape Project

Offline Satch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:02:50 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I haven't had much time to go through forum yet, but from what I've seen so far there seems to be a wealth of wisdom and experience on this subject.

I am interested in maybe getting on the list for a hot-rodded Tape Project deck. And/Or finding somebody near central Fl. that works on reel to reels.

Satch

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:53:08 AM »
Hey Satch,

There's a wealth of info here if you use the search function.

There is also reference information in stickies above this forum under Beginners Guide and Reel to Reel links. The Beginners Guide is meant to pick up where the owners manuals for specific machines end.

Regarding modified decks, Doc is concentrating on Technics RS1500 series and Otari 5050 series decks. I think that the most cost effective is the Otari. Their widespread availability makes their selling prices insanely cheap. There was a guy somewhere in Fl. (sorry, I can't remember exactly what part and I've driven the length of you state to know it's a long way from end to end) that sells Otari's on eBay and a few members here have had great experience buy from him. Perhaps one of them will see this post and chime in. I'll do a little searching to see if I can come up with it. But I believe he services the machines he was selling so even if he doesn't have one for sale at this time, he could end up being a good service guy.

You might check with Doc to see if he might have a machine that he's willing to let go too. I know that he has a couple of Technics that have already been gone over and might have an Otari too.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
In fact Shawn just scored a really nice MX-5050 BII this weekend. I think it's an HD version with the digital readout.  He is working on a BIII for himself and I think he plans to sell this BII. I do also have a gorgeous red RS-1500, a pretty nice RS-1520 and a slightly rough but great running RS-1506 available, that have all been modified for outboard electronics and given the tape path mods.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Satch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 01:33:09 PM »
I've almost finished paying off my new M.L. Spire speakers and will be ahead of the game when I sell my pair of 1 y.o. M.L. Vista speakers. Would it be in bad taste to offer the Vistas for trade? Great sounding and looking... Ha,ha... Anyway, I'm wondering what kind of $$$ ballpark to get into something like a Tecnics 1500 series with the nice tube outboard preamp. I'm also looking for a used Manley Massive Passive tube Eq.

I apologize in advance if I am out of line here.

Satch

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 04:05:08 PM »
Hey Satch,

I'd call or email Doc about the machines.

As far as the Manley goes, let us know if you find one. I've been in this for a while and I've never even seen one. I don't think that Evo ever sold many and I meant to ask her when I saw her last weekend but forgot (along with about a million other things,.. show amnesia!).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Satch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:45:40 PM »
Yeah, I'd love to get one of Doc's machines. Just trying to get the scratch together right now.

As far as the Manley Massive Passive, well, it just looks so cool it's gotta sound good, right? ha, ha... There's a good review of it in vol. 17 of Tone Audio online mag.

Iornbut, How do you like those Maggies?

Satch