Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Question on Scully 280B  (Read 7978 times)

Offline tapepath

• View Profile
Question on Scully 280B
« on: March 01, 2007, 02:52:11 PM »
Hello,
Newbie here, first time posting. Seems like a good bunch of fellows all around. Is anybody familiar with a Scully 280B, that I have, that operates vertically? In other words, the supply and take-up reels are above one another, as opposed to side-by-side. I must say the overall construction, of this deck, is excellent. The mechanics are beautiful to look at.
Regards, Ken Swauger

Offline scully280

• View Profile
Re: Question on Scully 280B
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 03:27:41 PM »
This sounds like a 14 inch reel model.  If you mount a 10 1/2 inch reel on one of the reel hubs is there still considerable clearance from the edge of the reel to the head block cover?  If memory serves when the 14 inch Scully transport was mounted in a rack the reels were up and over, and for the 10 1/2 inch reel transport the reels were side by side.  And indeed if it is a 14 inch reel model how is it mounted, that is, is it in a rack or a roll-around cabinet?  My recollection is that the decks are really heavy and hard for one person to handle.
Richard Lane
Scully280

Offline tapepath

• View Profile
Re: Question on Scully 280B
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 09:10:33 AM »
Hello Richard,
Thank you for pointing that out, you're exactly right. It is a larger reel machine, the rack mount holes are on the "top" and "bottom" of where you would normally find them. I have the transport on a wooden rack frame I built with an Ampex 351 above it. Again, thanks for the information.
Take care, Ken