TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Studer B67  (Read 12123 times)

Offline heideana

• View Profile
Studer B67
« on: April 03, 2007, 11:33:18 AM »
I've managed to acquire a Studer B67 that appears, via photo's, to be in good shape that I'm having sent to Jack Clark in Tennessee for refurbishing.

I can't seem to find much information about this particular Studer model, other then it seems to come in a lot of configurations and a lot of them were made.  I'm hoping that since a lot of them were made that all the bugs were worked out of it, like the PR99???  This particular model is 1/2" 2-track and I think it has an IEC EQ switch.  Can anyone tell me more the B67's or where I read more about them?
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Studer B67
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:14:37 PM »
Have you checked out the Studer List. It's part of the recordist web site which is mostly pro Ampex. It is a must see web site for anyone interested in pro tape gear. Heres a link to the recordist and just click on the Studer List.www.recordist.com
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 11:55:10 AM »
Thanks Steve!  I'd tried that site, but the "classics" section is still under construction and I didn't find much information there.  I'm very happy to report that the seller sent me a shot of my "new" machine and its' already made its' way to Jack Clark in Nashville.  It looks like its' in pretty good shape, at least what you can tell from looking a photo...

The better news is that I found someone local in San Francisco to help me maintain it, along with my PR 99's.  Although he's already pointed out that I'd be better served to get an ATR 102 at somepoint and thought I could pick one up in great working order for $1-2k or less?  I haven't seen prices like that, but I'm intrigued with what I'm reading about the 102!

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline tapepath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 01:17:17 PM »
Hello,
Congratulations on the Studer! Jack does a great job and I'm sure it will be in top flight condition. I've had very good experience working on the PR99 and it can be turned into an extremely good sounding deck. Also it is very easy to convert one to IEC playback, only a couple of resisitor value changes. Perfect for Doc's tapes.
Enjoy your new deck, Ken.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
$1-2K ATR
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 12:44:18 AM »
I bought an $800 ATR 102. $3400 later it is indeed in great working order...
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 11:23:50 AM »
Hey Steve -- thanks again for the studer list tip!  I figured out how to subscribe to the listserv and am getting lots of Studer stuff....Hopkins

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 10:35:34 PM »
Here's some more information via the Yahoo group:

Date: Wed Apr 4, 2007 6:38 pm
Subject: Re: Studer B67 history?  lrdiver2

I found this discussion;

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/4740/0

Larry