Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Tascam BR-20 direct head wiring  (Read 21093 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Re: Tascam BR-20 direct head wiring
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 06:30:24 AM »
Hey Paul,

In addition to the head I have a new pinch roller and a new band coming my way. Any other mods you have on mind? I haven't investigated if parts of Doc's mod could be applied to the transport.

Also, what position are you planning for the new head?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:41:35 AM by xcortes »
Xavier Cortes

Offline nikaudio

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »

Thank you all for all advices.
Docd advice is beautiful in its simplicity I could use internal electronics and compare it with outside tape preamp.

What was the rationale behind using two the some heads in Tascam, if I got it right, both are play/record heads.
So seems that one would be enough, and right now one is used for playback only and second one for recording only, so they both only half used. Seems like one would be enough.

Xcortese, Your solution using one head for internal amp and one for external makes a lot of sense if one would like to replace stock head for higher inductance head.

I understand that Tascam stock 100mH head gives you low output not suitable for BH tape preamps. I have found on some forum that King/cello solid state tape preamp have 60dB of gain which is enough for low output head vs 50dB from BH repro.
So question is , are stock Tascam heads inferior only because they require higher gain pre or there is more to it?

Playing devils advocate MC should be inferior to MM because is lower output and requires higher preamplification in phono-stage.

But to compare it I guess one would have compare  Tascam + King/Cello vs Tascam + step up transformer + BH repro vs Tascam with high-output head + BH repro.
On some forum some tape guru wrote that Tascam BR-20 with Kind/Cello sounded better than his Studer 820 with stock electronics which is class by itself.

Somebody advice me to try Nortronics heads, but they supposedly do not fit/cannot be easily mounted to Tascam heads compartment.

Does heads from Greg Orton of Flux Magnetics fit into Tascam, how much do they cost ? I understand that they are higher inductance/output heads hence more suitable for tube BH electronics ?

Some claims that BH electronics is better some that King/Cello is better, for sure later have higher gain which is beneficial for low output heads.
Some interesting posts about heads and tape preamps:
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=tape&m=14945&VT=T

I?m just trying to figure it out but I have got headache to many possibilities and no experience on my side.
Best to you all.
Slawek

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 04:45:24 PM »
Charlie King "reviews" his preamp vs. the competition and, astoundingly, he finds his own product to sound better.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »
Here's my "built for Bottlehead electronics" extended response head from Flux Magnetics.
Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
Compared to the old one:

Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 03:05:14 PM »
Nice lookin' shield on that new head!
Is the "built for Bottlehead" head different from the other ER heads?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 06:07:35 PM »
I guess so since Greg always confirms with me twice if the heads are to be used with BH electronics.
Xavier Cortes

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
Looks like a larger gap head for better bottom end. SWEET!!! Like the MTR-10 heads on my 5050. 20-20K response at 15ips.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 08:11:09 PM »
New head installed
Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 08:13:53 PM »
Ready to roll
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 10:16:34 AM »
Looks great buddy!
That Flux head sure dwarfs the others!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades