Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Stravinsky Firebird, Rachmaninov Symphony #2  (Read 7440 times)

Offline musicman

• View Profile
Stravinsky Firebird, Rachmaninov Symphony #2
« on: April 03, 2007, 06:19:15 PM »
I would you to consider recording two superb combinations of performance and sound.  The first is the "Firebird" Suite by Stravinsky, Antal Dorati conductor on Mercury Living Presence.  The performance and sound is fantastic. I personally dont think any other recording is as good.  The other one is the achingly beautiful second symphony by Rachmaninov.  Again a superb performance by Andre Previn and the London Symphony on British EMI.  I look forward to hearing some feedback on these suggestions!

David Faulkner

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
Re: Stravinsky Firebird, Rachmaninov Symphony #2
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 03:14:47 AM »
Two TOP recommendations on these titles. Previn was a master of this symphony and EMI did a fine job on the recording. I heard him perform it with the BSO at Tanglewood and it was one of the best concerts in memory. Firebird with Dorati is also tops. Great cover art as well. I rate it in the top 10 of all Mercury recordings.
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 08:13:52 PM »
Mmm! One of my favorite recordings. I have an original lp I bought new way back when. The Classic reissue I also have ain't too shabby either. I haven't heard the Previn but I'll make a point of finding one. It's funny, I had a choral director 30 years ago that was a piece of work. She took every opportunity to tell us about here days of working under Bernstein at Tanglewood. Every time I hear that name, a little shiver still goes down my spine!
BTW the Dorati isn't the suite, it's the complete ballet. Please excuse me, my OCD's showing.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 11:36:51 AM »
While I really enjoy the Mercury catalogue; I have at least a hundred of their recordings on vinyl and 2 track tapes, The Firebird being one of them, I would suggest that you stay away from mixing down 3 channel recordings. Unless of course you plan of releasing 3 channel tapes with corresponding 3 channel machines...YAAAHHHHHH   :-))

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca