TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: ATR-102  (Read 8710 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
ATR-102
« on: July 06, 2009, 02:16:45 PM »
I'm about to order an ATR-102 from Mike Spitz from ATR. I plan to use it with Bottlehead Electronics (Eros or Seduction, I love my BH kits). Mike will build the machine with RCA Jacks unbalanced to make it a better match with the rest of my system. And he'll add two sets of outputs, one directly from the heads and the other from the internal electronics with a silver contact switch.

Any advice or opinions before ordering will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Xavier Cortes

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Re: ATR-102
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 06:19:26 PM »
MikeL should jump in and give you his first hand thoughts on what to look for on ATR-102.

Considering the cost of the ATR machine, why not the full Tape Repro?  It seems more fitting than the Seduction option...;-)

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 06:50:32 PM »
the full Tape Repro?  It seems more fitting than the Seduction option

Never underestimate a Seduction my friend!

Actually if I do decide to pull the trigger with the big machine there won't be much money for electronics until later. I do have a Seduction and eventually I'd love to build an Eros or two :>)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:59:09 PM by xcortes »
Xavier Cortes

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 01:09:23 PM »
I didn't mean to insult your Seduction...  I have one as well.

Can you point me to the link where I can read more about the Eros?

Thanks,
Ki
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline microstrip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 05:54:32 PM »
Can you use the Eros both as a phono and a tape preamplifier?
Francisco

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »
I believe that Doc is planning on having a modification of the Eros just like the Seduction to use as a tape preamp. The first run of the Eros kits are being completed by lots of happy DIYers as we speak so the modifications haven't been released yet.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »
Xcortes,

one big issue with the ATR-102 is switching EQ's between NAB and IEC. unlike my Studer A820 which has toggles which allow easy switching between the 2 EQ's; you must either change to different cards or do a new setup to switch EQ's.

the best way to solve this problem is an outboard repro unit that included switchable EQ. two good choices are the Aria which Mike Spitz supplies, or the Bottlehead Repro which will mount in the lower panel. Mike Spitz can modify the panel and do all the set-up work for Doc to install the Repro.

if you need an RCA output; it will have to be at -10db (as opposed to the pro spec +4db stock XLR output)......and according to my research last year, the Aria is not compatable for a -10db output. the Bottlehead Repro OTOH, already has this.

another question would be; do you want the custom Repro unit to also function in recording? the Aria is more expensive when you have the input electronics also.

at some point when i can afford it; i'll likely have the Bottlehead installed in my ATR.

mikel
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:30:42 PM by mikel »
Mike Lavigne

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 10:26:03 AM »
Hey Ki. No insult taken :^) Ain't it a marvelous component?

Thanks Mike. Actually I do intend to use outside repro electronics (for playback only).

One nice point of the ATR vs the Studer is that it is very modular in the sense that you could build a nicer cabinet than the original one or even mount it in an 19" rack. Thus space and WAF problems can be notoriously reduced.

I'm wondering if the Bottlehead repro amp can drive long cables. That would be a plus vs Bottlehead kits. I guess I'll ask at the BH forum.
Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Tube Repro
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 03:25:55 PM »
OK so it's Ki, Mike and now Doc "pushing" the Tube Repro. Well guys, I don't know if it was you or it's ability to drive long cables but I'm sold on it.

Wohoooo!

Thanks guys
Xavier Cortes

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Re: ATR-102 playback electronics
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 05:24:26 AM »
There is another option. Contact me:

[email protected]

Charles

Offline microstrip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 05:48:53 PM »
I have just ordered an Eros - I will use it for vinyl until the modification for tape is released.
The Eros seems fantastic - it is curious that more than 50 years after the introduction of the Quad 22 we have again a tube phono preamplifier with the low noise EF86 at the front-end.
Francisco