Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: ATR 102's?  (Read 4569 times)

Offline heideana

• View Profile
ATR 102's?
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:19:48 AM »
Which format would you go for in an ATR 102, 1/4" or 1/2", given the context of home audiophile/studio?  I've got more then a few 1/4" machines, and am intrigued with the idea of getting a 1/2" machine to make really specially dubs to.  I know that two 1/4" tracks hold more analog information then two 1/8" tracks, but how much of that information is translated into actual listening?

Also, how much would I be looking at if I wanted to get a "working" ATR 102 and where's the best place to look for one?

Thanks in advance for thoughts....Hopkins
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline rhopkins

• View Profile
Re: ATR 102's?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 07:15:17 PM »
Not a direct answer to your question but something that might be of interest to you... 

I was talking with John French from JRF Magnetic Sciences about a convertible Studer A820 that would do 1/4" and 1/2".  Swap out the head block and guides then re-calibrate and you have a different machine.  He was just finishing one for a guy in LA this past week.
Rick Hopkins

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:47:09 PM »
Kewl!  I've been wondering about the "swap-a-head" technology and if its' really accurate?
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 11:15:18 AM »
The conversion from 1/4" to 1/2" is very easy on an ATR. 1/2" sounds mo betta'. But what are you dubbing? If you're dubbing from 1/2" it's the way to go. If you're dubbing from 1/4" there would be less loss in theory than if you dubbed to 1/4", but you won't really be getting more from the 1/2" dub of 1/4" than you would from the 1/4" original in terms of sonics.

All that said, we may be offering custom dubs of Tape Project masters to 1/2" tape at some future point. This means disruption of the duping schedule for conversion of a slave to 1/2" and subsequent aligment, and then time spent changing the machine back to 1/4". It also means more expensive tape. Thus the price would have to be considerably higher than the 1/4" albums.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline scully280

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 06:32:41 PM »
1/2 inch dubs?  That was my own daydream all last year, me being unaware that you were planning this whole Tape Project thing.  Dang, now I just may have to figure a way of getting an ATR-102 into my place, and it's a small place.  If you do offer some 1/2 in. dubs you will really complicate my life, but I mean that in a good way! 

But maybe it's a good excuse to get and old Scully 280 and convert it.  I always wanted to make an upgrade reproduce amp card.  Anybody know where I can get one, maybe an MS (Motion Sense) model?

Rich Lane
Richard Lane
Scully280

Offline beefman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 08:42:51 AM »
The conversion from 1/4" to 1/2" is very easy on an ATR. 1/2" sounds mo betta'. But what are you dubbing? If you're dubbing from 1/2" it's the way to go. If you're dubbing from 1/4" there would be less loss in theory than if you dubbed to 1/4", but you won't really be getting more from the 1/2" dub of 1/4" than you would from the 1/4" original in terms of sonics.

All that said, we may be offering custom dubs of Tape Project masters to 1/2" tape at some future point. This means disruption of the duping schedule for conversion of a slave to 1/2" and subsequent aligment, and then time spent changing the machine back to 1/4". It also means more expensive tape. Thus the price would have to be considerably higher than the 1/4" albums.

Oh why why why did you have to mention this... and my 820s are still at ATR. The big question is how on earth to find the 1/2" parts (guides and headblock) without breaking the bank.
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!