TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: ATR 102's?  (Read 9119 times)

Offline heideana

• View Profile
ATR 102's?
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:19:48 AM »
Which format would you go for in an ATR 102, 1/4" or 1/2", given the context of home audiophile/studio?  I've got more then a few 1/4" machines, and am intrigued with the idea of getting a 1/2" machine to make really specially dubs to.  I know that two 1/4" tracks hold more analog information then two 1/8" tracks, but how much of that information is translated into actual listening?

Also, how much would I be looking at if I wanted to get a "working" ATR 102 and where's the best place to look for one?

Thanks in advance for thoughts....Hopkins
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline rhopkins

• View Profile
Re: ATR 102's?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 07:15:17 PM »
Not a direct answer to your question but something that might be of interest to you... 

I was talking with John French from JRF Magnetic Sciences about a convertible Studer A820 that would do 1/4" and 1/2".  Swap out the head block and guides then re-calibrate and you have a different machine.  He was just finishing one for a guy in LA this past week.
Rick Hopkins

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:47:09 PM »
Kewl!  I've been wondering about the "swap-a-head" technology and if its' really accurate?
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 11:15:18 AM »
The conversion from 1/4" to 1/2" is very easy on an ATR. 1/2" sounds mo betta'. But what are you dubbing? If you're dubbing from 1/2" it's the way to go. If you're dubbing from 1/4" there would be less loss in theory than if you dubbed to 1/4", but you won't really be getting more from the 1/2" dub of 1/4" than you would from the 1/4" original in terms of sonics.

All that said, we may be offering custom dubs of Tape Project masters to 1/2" tape at some future point. This means disruption of the duping schedule for conversion of a slave to 1/2" and subsequent aligment, and then time spent changing the machine back to 1/4". It also means more expensive tape. Thus the price would have to be considerably higher than the 1/4" albums.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline scully280

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 06:32:41 PM »
1/2 inch dubs?  That was my own daydream all last year, me being unaware that you were planning this whole Tape Project thing.  Dang, now I just may have to figure a way of getting an ATR-102 into my place, and it's a small place.  If you do offer some 1/2 in. dubs you will really complicate my life, but I mean that in a good way! 

But maybe it's a good excuse to get and old Scully 280 and convert it.  I always wanted to make an upgrade reproduce amp card.  Anybody know where I can get one, maybe an MS (Motion Sense) model?

Rich Lane
Richard Lane
Scully280

Offline beefman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 08:42:51 AM »
The conversion from 1/4" to 1/2" is very easy on an ATR. 1/2" sounds mo betta'. But what are you dubbing? If you're dubbing from 1/2" it's the way to go. If you're dubbing from 1/4" there would be less loss in theory than if you dubbed to 1/4", but you won't really be getting more from the 1/2" dub of 1/4" than you would from the 1/4" original in terms of sonics.

All that said, we may be offering custom dubs of Tape Project masters to 1/2" tape at some future point. This means disruption of the duping schedule for conversion of a slave to 1/2" and subsequent aligment, and then time spent changing the machine back to 1/4". It also means more expensive tape. Thus the price would have to be considerably higher than the 1/4" albums.

Oh why why why did you have to mention this... and my 820s are still at ATR. The big question is how on earth to find the 1/2" parts (guides and headblock) without breaking the bank.
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!