TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: VU meter replacement for Technics RS-1520  (Read 4602 times)

Offline rtbarr

• View Profile
VU meter replacement for Technics RS-1520
« on: July 08, 2009, 08:39:16 PM »
I am new here, and hope to eventually purchase some of the Tape Project tapes.

I am here because you all seem to be familiar with the Technics R2R decks. I recently bought an RS-1520 deck that seems to work fine but has cosmetic issues from use in a busy recording studio. The VU meter bulbs do not light up. I am curious how much trouble it is to fix this. I would prefer to only have to open my deck once, so knowing what kind of bulb to get ahead of time would be wonderful. Also if anyone has modified these meters to use an LED in place of the standard bulb,  I would be interested in the details of your success.

I already use a Seduction kit I built 3 years ago for phono listening. I will eventually get around to building a second one for my tape deck.

I also need wood side panels for my previously rack mounted machine. I have fair woodworking skills. I would be interested in hearing from anyone with some for sale. I think my 1520 deck is a little taller than the 1500/1506, so maybe these wouldn't fit.

RT Barr
Decatur, Alabama