Tape Project Albums > Saxophone Colossus

TP-010 Saxophone Colossus, first listening impressions.

(1/3) > >>

mikel:
This is great music and one of the true classics of Jazz.....i had not listened to Saxophone Collossus in quite awhile until tonight, and for the life of me i don't know why. This should and will be in my frequent rotation.

the interplay of the group is simply wonderful, the pace is perfect, and each cut delights. it's not so mellow, but never over the top either.....very listenable, tuneful and easy for a non jazz freak to get into.

Mono? who cares? this recording is alive and once the music starts you really don't even think about the fact it's not a stereo recording. (maybe the fact that it's mono has caused me to overlook this for so long.....if so my bad).

i love each cut; but my favorites are 'You don't know what loves is' and 'Blue 7'.....'Blue 7' might be as perfect a cut as i know of.....and it's 11 minutes 15 seconds long......WOW! a real musical journey.

with music this fine, it seems crass to speak about recording quality......but i know that is one part of our enjoyment. Sonny's tenor sax is wonderful on the tape; very immediate, very dynamic, smooth as butta one moment, ruff and gruff the next. the tape captures every nuance and shade without stress or strain. it's all there. the tape also captures the cymbles perfectly; which are prominent throughout the recording.....as perfect as i've ever heard them recorded. overall; the tape has great flow, is very dynamic and detailed.

TP-010 is a great sounding recording of wonderful music and i highly recommend it.....great job and congrats to Doc, Paul and Romo (and crew) for another winner! I feel very lucky to be able to own and play a fully licensed 1/4" 15ips 1.5 generation master dub of Saxophone Collossus.

i will be playing it often.

btw; one tiny nit-pic.....both tapes were 'tails-in' instead of 'tails-out'.

docb:
Hmmm, it is very strange that the tapes would be head out rather than tail out. The tapes are recorded onto the hub and never leave it before they are shipped. It would be very unlikely that they were rewound onto another hub after recording. Was it perhaps instead that the tail was out, but the flanges were on such that the engraved flange was on the backside and the reel had to be flipped over to rewind it for the first play? That could happen if the guys putting together the reel lost track of the flanges when mounting them - and easily remedied by rewinding the tape all the way off, flipping the reel and rethreading the tape on the properly flipped reel for the first play. If that is the case I will ask the guys to be a little more observant when they mount the flanges and when we QC the package.

mikel:

--- Quote from: docb on July 17, 2009, 09:43:27 AM ---Hmmm, it is very strange that the tapes would be head out rather than tail out. The tapes are recorded onto the hub and never leave it before they are shipped. It would be very unlikely that they were rewound onto another hub after recording. Was it perhaps instead that the tail was out, but the flanges were on such that the engraved flange was on the backside and the reel had to be flipped over to rewind it for the first play? That could happen if the guys putting together the reel lost track of the flanges when mounting them - and easily remedied by rewinding the tape all the way off, flipping the reel and rethreading the tape on the properly flipped reel for the first play. If that is the case I will ask the guys to be a little more observant when they mount the flanges and when we QC the package.

--- End quote ---

sorry, i think my description was incorrect; what i mean't was that the 'tail' was taped onto the inside of the reel instead of the outside; the tape was properly oriented. i have always seen tails taped to the outside of the reel so i assumed that was proper.....and so figured that taping it inside (the first time i've seen that) was somehow not correct. there was no ill effect other than it caused me to wonder.

docb:
Ah, OK. Dunno why it was not taped onto the outside of the flange, but I will check with the guys about their procedure, as that way makes it easier to get the end free for threading up. Tail out means the end of the tape is on the outside of the tape pack and the head or beginning is at the hub, so you have to rewind the tape before playing. That assures that the tape is put on the reel with even tension before storage.

jcmusic:
For what it's worth all of my tapes so far have been taped on the inside, no big deal!!!!!!!!!

Jay

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version