Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Nagra T Audio available  (Read 13365 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Nagra T Audio available
« on: July 30, 2009, 05:53:46 PM »
Nope, not mine, but it is a local Seattle machine. From what I have been told it is in good operating condition with the roll around and meter bridge. I have not seen it and I don't have any details about any time code features in the bridge or whether it has the NAB or cine hub adapters. It plays all of the possible EQs, but apparently it may not have all four record EQ cards. No manuals with it, but I may be able to direct you to a source. Price is $3000. The last two I saw on ebay went for $5500 and $5000, IIRC. Get in touch with me if you are interested.

PB is hoping to finish the custom Tube Repro that will live in my Nagra T by next week. It will have NAB, IEC and Nagramaster playback EQ and be color coordinated with the Nagra panels, with a clear anodized front panel with black lettering. It will replace the time code panel in the bridge and have a Y cable to connect with the bridge meters. I suppose we could do another one and mod the aforementioned Nagra for it if someone was interested.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Re: Nagra T Audio available
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:36:57 PM »
Hi Doc:

Just sent you an email.

Thanks,

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:50:17 PM »
Update:

Doc B was kind enough to link me to one of his Pro Audio friends in Seattle, Dave Dintenfass.  It took few tries to get together but we finally met at his studio in downtown Seattle past Monday.  Dave was an interesting person who started the "Phone Musesum" in Seattle.

http://www.museumofcommunications.org/

But more interestingly, he had a room full of vintage and what seemed to be very rare tape recorders.  It was a stunning sight - reminded me of my first visit to the "educational establishment" as a teenager with folded dollar bills.  Fortunately, they were all Ampex machines so I was safe.

Dave had set up the Narga T without the use of the manual and could only show me the basic functions.  The Nagra T was owned by a famous local Acoustician, Glenn White.  Below link has interesting interview from the Tape Op Magazine including sound system Mr. White had set up for 1964 Beattles concert in Seatle.

http://www.vagrantrecords.com/other/news/vgNews4.html

The deck was smaller and lighter than any of my Studers.   If the mighty Studer A820 is a Mercedes AMG sedan, the Nagra T is Porche 911 Turbo sports car.

As soon as I am done with rebuilding my A820, I will gvie it a bath, dress it up, and will take some photos for you all.

Ki
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:02:18 PM by Ki Choi »
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:11:38 PM »
Hmm, and this is your idea of thinning the herd?

Just joking of course. I've gotta admit that after seeing Doc's "model T" in action, I was trying to figure out what it would take to buy one myself.

The visit with Dave Dintenfass must've been a real treat. I read his postings all the time on the Ampex list and his advice is always from experience and more times than not, refers to a machine he is currently working on or has. He seems like a really nice guy too.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 10:16:31 PM »
Hmm, and this is your idea of thinning the herd?

Just joking of course. I've gotta admit that after seeing Doc's "model T" in action, I was trying to figure out what it would take to buy one myself.

The visit with Dave Dintenfass must've been a real treat. I read his postings all the time on the Ampex list and his advice is always from experience and more times than not, refers to a machine he is currently working on or has. He seems like a really nice guy too.

I have corresponded with him via email and met him at the last San Francisco AES convention, courtesy of Jay McKnight and another former "Ampexer" (both incredibly knowledgeable and helpful people in their own right)  I have worked with on AES convention historical committee events. David has been very helpful to me as well. I guess if you look at the origins of the Tape Project, he had something to do with getting that going as well, as he provided a machine and Paul S. some tapes for an early demo of Doc's equipment at a show if I have my story straight.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 02:10:27 PM »
Thinning the herd... oh... that hurts... but I deserved it, Steve. ;-)  I am about to thin the herd at last since I have no more pasture space...  Just received the green light from Doc B that I can mention availability of the flock that should find greener grass outside of my house...

Although Dave didn't mention his involvement with TP during my visit, but he did show me his HP spectrum analyzer Doc B had borrowed once.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:20:53 PM by Ki Choi »
Ki Choi

Offline PJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 01:52:02 AM »
Dave is an old friend from VALVE days, and yes he really is one of the sweetest people on the planet. Not that you will get anything past him when making a deal - did I mention smart as well?  :^) 

And yes, at an early VSAC show Bottlehead showed a system with Dave's Ampex 350 playing 30ips tapes from Paul S. Took "best of show" from several journals, and while I'm proud to have helped design the amps and speakers, I think that was because we had the best damn source by a very wide margin!

IIRC there was a good deal of exceptional Scotch involved as well (not the tape) but that's another story.
Paul Joppa
Bottlehead R&D

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 02:52:46 PM »
Pj

Scotch...hope they were single malt...

Not only I picked up an excellent tape machine, I pick up a new friend in Seattle.  We plan to go have some exotic meal north of town the next time we get together.

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline audioblazers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 09:06:49 AM »
FYI Nagra T recorder for sales at ebay seller royal-hifi
Happy Listening

Song Soon Onn