Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Four more titles for Series Two!  (Read 7999 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Four more titles for Series Two!
« on: August 11, 2009, 07:39:09 PM »
We've been waiting for several weeks to announce the other four titles of the ten title Series Two. The paperwork is finally in place and Paul is planning to pick up the original master tapes as soon as he is able.

OK, OK, enough preamble -

Clifford Brown Memorial Album originally on Blue Note, 1953
This is a compilation of Brownie's first two sessions as a leader. With Lou Donaldson on alto sax, Elmo Hope on piano, Percy Heath on bass, and Philly Joe Jones on drums in one session, and Gigi Gryce on alto, Charlie Rouse on tenor, John Lewis on piano, Percy Heath on bass, and Art Blakey on drums in the other session. These are the sessions that started the short lived Brown's rise to the stature of a bop legend.
We have licensed an extended version of this title

Jimmy Smith The Sermon originally on Blue Note, 1958
B3 godfather Jimmy Smith at his best, and hang on to this personnel list-
Art Blakey, drums; Kenny Burrell, guitar; Lee Morgan, trumpet; Lou Donaldson, alto saxophone; Tina Brooks, tenor saxophone
recorded by Rudy Van Gelder
We have also licensed an extended version of this title

The Band Stage Fright originally on Capitol, 1970
A great album from these musician's musicians and Rock and Roll Hall of Famers. Here the former Bob Dylan backup band that influenced such giants as Eric Clapton and George Harrison is recorded and produced by Todd Rundgren on a stage in Woodstock, NY. Not a bad way for Tape Project to break their rock and roll cherry!
We licensed a couple of bonus tracks on this one

Linda Ronstadt Heart Like a Wheel originally on Capitol, 1974
51 weeks on the charts! #1 Billboard album in Feb 1975, certified gold, platinum, and double platinum, #1 Billboard Hot 100 songs (You're No Good), #1 Billboard Hot Country Songs (When Will I be Loved), Billboard's top female pop artist of the year for 1975, a Grammy for Best Country Vocal Performance Female for "I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You).", Grammy nominated for album of the year.
Phew!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:41:01 PM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
Re: Four more titles for Series Two!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:45:04 PM »
Nice way to round out series two!! I am sure that TP will do great justice to Linda Ronstadt's voice on "Heart Like a Wheel".

"Stage Fright" was one I didn't see comin'

Who an argue with an RVG Blue Note?

Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:52:47 PM »
Thanks Joe,

We were really committed to answer what we felt were the most prevalent requests we had been getting from subscribers, that we hadn't yet addressed - Blue Note jazz, a classic rock album, and a truly BIG hit album. It took us a little while to gather all of these things, but we felt it was necessary to hang in there and go for the gold, er, double platinum rather than settle for some stuff that might be very good but not great.

I can't wait to hear The Sermon, myself. Getting goose bumps just thinkin' about it.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:21:48 PM »
Yeah!!!

Man, every one of those is just killer! My buddy whose house the S. Rollins visited is one HUGE Clifford Brown fan. And the Memorial album is tops for everyone I think. What a freakin' line up that one is!

And the Sermon is easily my fav Jimmy Smith!

Anybody that read my plea (that's what we call begging now days) knows what a huge fan I am of The Band. Did I hear you say Bonus Tracks! Woo-hoo!!!!!

I don't think anybody wasn't a least at closet Ronstadt fan in the '70's. I saw her 6 or 7 times in venues big and small. The last time she warmed up for Neil Young (On the Beach tour) at the Omni in Atlanta and just blew everyone away. Heck, I should look it up, it could have been for this album.

This stuff has Paul Stubblebine written all over it!
Thank you, thank you , thank you!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:44:22 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »
Well I guess I'll have to wait a few more days for the web site to updated.
I wanted to look at the Album Covers. Ben.
PS: Doc I noticed the new order page is up for bottle head products
and something is missing ... It must be the space between the .00 and USD  :)

Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Five percent
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:24:53 PM »
is the rate of albums I had heard before receiving my TP tapes. Yep, only one out of twenty. And I love it!
Xavier Cortes

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 08:45:08 AM »
i'm personally very happy with the choices (i like the music first and formost) and am impressed with the diversity of the additions. how can you go wrong with The Band or Linda Ronstadt?

some mainstream pop (Heart Like a Wheel) and a rock n' roll classic (Stage Fright) should add to the street cred of The Tape Project and hopefully it indicates the future genre balance. getting those 2 license's negotiated must have been interesting. both those are pretty good sonically and i can't wait to hear them on tape.

we can only hope that other mainstream artists will want to follow that lead and be open to RTR tape distribution with The Tape Project touch.

i don't have the 'Clifford Brown Memorial Album' or the Jimmy Smith's 'The Sermon' but i have others by those guys and like them so i'm happy with those 2 also.

you guys should be proud of the job you've done on Series Two with bringing us some great (and significant) music; i expect that more fence-sitters will jump in.

i expect Series Two to really rock since we'll get them more consistently and speedily with your more refined production processes. a person will be able to decide to purchase 20 great Tape Project titles and recieve them in a reasonable time-frame. that is enough software to justify the hardware commitment. the more buzz it creates the bigger the upside of potential great music on tape in the future there will be.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 08:49:08 AM by mikel »
Mike Lavigne

Offline Dan Robertson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 08:06:01 AM »
The second series looks to be just as exciting as the first! With such great selections, you guys are killing me with anticipation. And a special congratulations for the Blue Notes - I hope we see more in the future.

So, what's the line up for Series III? (just kidding!)

Dan

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »
I assume that Jimmy Smith and Clifford Brown are jazz people. What kind of music do they play? Is this like late Coltrane?   Are either of them vocalists?  Also is the Band purely instrumental or do they have vocalists?  I do have a copy of the Ronstadt album and am looking forward to hearing that in pristine form. I think she was our former and maybe future governor's (Jerry Brown) girl friend back when this was recorded. Anyway I look forward to becoming exposed to what is for me new music.   Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

ceved

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 07:45:36 PM »
I for one am disappointed that a Tiny Tim title did not make it into Series II, but I will get over it.
Very nice rounding out of the selections.
I guess this ends the fence sitting.
Now how do we order again?
My email to 'tape queen' bounced quicker than my checks.
Steve did you miss me?
Improve your aim.
The Luv Chuck is back.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 12:36:09 AM »
Hey Hey,.. Chuck's back in town!

Sorry you missed the big mail order bride giveaway but I had a feeling that "The Band" might smoke you out.
And, if you haven't noticed, I hacked into the system and made myself a moderator. Looks nice 'eh? Ever since that happened I've had ta beat 'em off with a splicing block!

"Heart Like a Wheel" doesn't hurt either IMHO. Even though it's kind of the border of when I started drifting way from her, it's a real hit machine and I don't think I'll ever mistake that voice for anyone else.

So, welcome back CV. You have a lot of posting to do to get the folks who've never experienced your special brand of communication initiated.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades