Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Revox PR99 what tape?  (Read 5951 times)

Offline amnesia

• View Profile
Revox PR99 what tape?
« on: August 20, 2009, 04:02:21 AM »
Hi all

I am totally new here so please go easy on me.
I am buying my first reel to reel a Revox PR99 Mk2 or 3.  I want to buy the right tape for it.
I am looking to record my analog synthesizers onto tape. What do you kind people recommend?

There is something beautiful about rewinding or fast fowarding a reel to reel and then there is the sound :-)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Revox PR99 what tape?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:12:01 AM »
I'm pretty sure that most members here have adopted RMGI 468 as the default when it comes to currently available tape for long term storage and great sound. The Tape Project tapes are recorded on this tape and our director Paul Stubblebine has gone into the reasons why he likes it elsewhere.

But, if I were making live recordings with their higher demands on dynamic range and absolutely the lowest noise floor available, I think I'd give the new ATR Magnetics tape a try. From what Kurt over on US Recording Media has indicated, many studios have adopted this tape and are very happy with it.

That said, I've have yet to try it myself and I don't know what you might be looking for in sound.
I moved this post in hopes that those among us who have tried it will chime in, particularly on how the ATR tape sounds with various machines/heads.

There are links to the data sheets of all the currently available tapes here;

http://usrecordingmedia-store.stores.yahoo.net/

BTW Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:28:56 AM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades