Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Get together at the Chateau  (Read 13270 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Get together at the Chateau
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:47:31 AM »
We will have samples of a few of the new Tape Project releases (The Staple Singers BeAltitude/Respect Yourself; Monk's Brilliant Corners and probably Linda Ronstadt's Heart Like a Wheel) playing on my new Nagra T Audio/Bottlehead Tube Repro setup; a Quickie or two ( our new battery powered preamp/headphone amp); the prototypes of our new MQ step up transformers and a Stereomour (stereo 2A3 amp) prototype ready to listen to by the end of the month. Looks like either September 13 or September 27 would be a good day for us to have a little soiree at Chateau Bottlehead. Anyone interested?
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Get together at the Chateau
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 10:49:08 AM »
Unless there is a major objection I think we will shoot for September 27th. By that time I should have some form of prototype hi res tube DAC and a music server setup to show as well as the other stuff.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 06:17:33 PM »
i'll be there either day unless i get tickets to the Seahawks-Bears game on the 27th (unlikely at this point). that's a great line-up of music and gear to listen to and i'm very much looking forward to the event.

oh, and thanks Doc for the extra Tape Project reel that arrived last night; it was a very nice surprise.

a question; have you settled on the sequence of delivery for Series Two? the web site shows 'Heart Like a Wheel' as listed first, then Jimmy Smith, and then The Band. that would be a powerhouse start. but there are no numbers next to the listings.

Mike
Mike Lavigne

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 06:32:55 PM »
Hey Mike,

Would love to see you at the meeting. The only album that has been numbered is Heart Like a Wheel as TP-011. We wanted it to be the first out of the chute for Series Two. They are starting to be duped and Shawn has been engraving reels for the past few days, so we are getting into the production process already. Beyond that we haven't worked out the numbers. All three of us have been traveling lately and it has been a little hard to get together for a conference call to work out the release order. I suspect we will have it decided some time next week.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:22:56 PM »
Yeah, I'd love to make it too but those are the weekends before and after Monterey. I'll be broke and pooped after and saving and packing before. It sounds like a great time though but one again I'm "No show Koto"!

I received my TP take up reel today also. It's so nice I hate to use it! Maybe I'll just save it for when the Technics and I go out on the town.
I can't wait to hear what Ronstadt sounds like on tape! I guess I could say that about all of them though.
There is something about the sound of "TP-011" that I sure do like though. I like it so much in fact that I'd have no objections if you engraved it on all the tapes from now on.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 02:03:24 PM »
Dan, I am going to try to get up there. I have discovered that one of my best friends from HS is practicing in the Kitsaa peninsula. I haven't seen him in over 40 years.  I've also found out that he is an audiophile!  Anyway, he lives in Poulsbo and I have a place to stay when I visit. If he is available, I would like to invite him to join the festivities. What time and are you and Eileen in Poulsbo also? I know Bottlehead is there.    Thanks, Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 03:06:13 PM »
Hi Larry, it would wonderful to have you here. The meetings usually start at noon and go until the late afternoon. And of course your friend would be most welcome.

Steve, dude, the door always stands open for you. Whenever you can make it.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 11:57:21 AM »
Just a little added incentive - along with the Staple Singers and Monk I now have a copy of the Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane album, and Paul is sending a copy of The Sermon that will be here in time for the meeting.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 06:29:59 PM »
Doc, I've got my tickets to Seattle. See you on the 27th.   Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 10:39:33 AM »
The meeting next Sunday is shaping up to be a good one. Looks like the attendance will be at least 10 and possibly more like 15. I have three of the Series Two albums here - BeAltitude: Respect Yourself, Brilliant Corners and Burrell and Coltrane, and we may have one or two more demo reels of other material by Sunday. I have the Nagra T with its custom Tube Repro running in the system. The system is at full power with 32 watts on the midrange, and PB came up with a very slick isolation mount for the midrange driver that has taken it up a notch from it's already good performance. I also have an early prototype of a new hi res music server/DAC. It's still in very rough looking breadboard form, but it's working well. We can give it a try as well.

Any blues harp players out there? I just finished a nice Astatic JT-30 mic with a Shure CM element. I play harp just a badly as I play guitar and I'd love to hear a real player run this mic through the routine.

As usual the meeting will be BYOB, BYOG (gear), BYOSW (software), BYOFCF (favorite comfort food), BYOGF (girlfriend) and we'll see what we can do to make a nice party out of the day.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 02:23:05 PM »
Hi Dan, where is Chateau Bottlehead. Somewhere near Poulsbo?   Thanks, Larry

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 03:50:04 PM »
It's on the Bottlehead website contact page:

1127 NW Brite Star Lane
Poulsbo, WA 98370
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Woo Hoo!
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 09:30:18 PM »
We got a surprise in our last shipment of pancakes - a listening copy of Little Hatch, Rock With Me Baby. And I got a shipping notice from the studio this afternoon, which I suspect may be my listening copy of Jimmy Smith's The Sermon.

Life is good.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 10:53:39 PM »
Argh!
Your killin' me Schmalle!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 09:55:09 AM »
I know man, this is really getting to be work. I'm thinking Shawn and I might need to stay late tonight to make sure that the tapes arrived in perfect shape.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle