Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Get together at the Chateau  (Read 13137 times)

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Re: Get together at the Chateau
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 11:07:46 AM »
Hi Steve:

Don't mean to rub it in too badly...but I have been emotionally and phyiscally preparing for the gathering that you will miss.  ;-)

I am refraining from listening to any decent music until this Sunday - just dialing in in the car - for the gloomy Seahawks AM talk radio programs in low fidelity and getting my ears cleaned on Friday for the event!
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 01:18:20 PM »
Hey, no problem Ki. I'm still recovering from having waaay to much fun at the jazz festival last weekend (maybe I wouldn't feel my age quite as much if I just got a little more exercise).
I'll get a chance to meet you guys and spend some time with the Schmalle household some other time I'm sure.

Have a wonderful time and be sure and take a few pictures of the gathering.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 02:13:33 PM »
Paul just informed me that he's also sending a demo reel with some songs from a couple of the other Series Two albums, so we should have examples from seven of the ten titles. I think we may set up a second tape rig in the lab with a Seduction tape head preamp and our new Quickie battery powered preamp modified for headphone use. I should mention also that I have several Technics and a couple of Otari machines for sale that we would be happy to demo on that rig (the Seduction is for sale as well), and we also have several Series One Titles in stock - TP-001, TP-002, TP-003, TP-005, TP-006, TP-009, and TP-010.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 10:01:03 AM »
Dan, looing forward to Sunday. We are planning to be there about noon? Is that right?   Thanks, Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
Yes, the meetings start at noon and usually folks start heading out around 4.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »
Thanks Doc and Eileen for openning your home (once again) for the Get together. it was fun; meeting people, putting faces with names, intense conversations, good food and adult beverages, and lots of great music reproduction done as god would have if he'd of thought about it. from tape at 1.5 generation from the master played thru the Nagra T/Repro. i heard parts of 5 of the Series 2 tapes (that i recall).

Ki Choi and i drove over from the eastside of Seattle to Poulsbo for the festivities. it's about a 80 minute drive each way for us. Ki has amassed a horde of RTR machines and has taken the trouble to learn about them technically. my RTR knowledge grew exponentially from my over 2 hours talking tape with him. thanks Ki.

it was great to meet Larry Toy (Astrotoy), his friend Bob who lives about a mile away from Doc, and Kip Peterson (Kipdent). Larry and Kip both traveled up from California for the event. i truely enjoyed our wide-ranging conversations.

some of the tapes i heard clearly with some listening focus; others during conversation in brief spots. i heard brief parts of 'The Sermon', which i loved--it seemed far beyond my middling Lp pressing.  another brief listen was to 'Brilliant Corners'; again, wonderful and 'i can't wait'. i did spend considerable time with Little Hatch's 'Rock With Me Baby'......WOW!!! this is a killer tape! sooo transparent and immediate. a great recording. another one i liked alot was Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane. a mono, but a mono with space and excellent definition and pulse. great music. i've already had the 'BeAltitude; Respect Yourself' tape in my system; it was interesting hearing it on Doc's system. still alive and wonderful. everyone stopped talking for awhile as it played.

every Series 2 tape i've heard is special as a recording and the music is sublime. bring'm on!

Doc also played some digital music files thru a new dac design of his; it really sounded 'analog' to me. very nice.

it was a fun day in every way (except the Seahawks lost to the Bears--at least i didn't watch and get upset about it) and thanks again to Doc for having us over. i did not take any pictures but others did; hopefully they will post them.

Mike Lavigne

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 10:36:43 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Mike. As always it was great to see you. You are always so positive and supportive about what we are doing and by gum, you're a pretty interesting cat to converse with. It was a busy house yesterday, which always makes for a difficult listen. We get together at the Chateau so seldom these days that the conversation gets pretty competitive with the music since folks haven't seen each other in so long. Makes for a really fun party, not for the best critical listening. It was the first time we had a good sized group in the room in this new configuration, and I kept thinking "man this sure isn't how it sounded when I was by myself in the sweet spot last night!". The added bodies really damped down the hf and upper mid energy. I appreciate that experienced ears were present, understanding the limitations of doing a demo in a crowded room. Sounded great after all you guys left ... the guy who was running the system was playing it way loud ;^)>

I really, really appreciate folks like Larry and Kip coming from so far to hear the tapes. It was great to meet the new folks like Kip and Ki and Bob and Ed and great to see old friends like Lew, Richard and Cameron that we seem to need a meeting as an excuse to get together with. And of course thanks to the Bottlehead live crew, PJ, PB, Shawn and Colin of course the Queen for coming to help out. I'll just note that the car and motorcycle show out front was fun too. John's gorgeous Maserati, Lew's 350HP Beemer, Camerons's new Beemer single 650 bike, Bob's cool custom stereo - I've been getting the jones for my midlife crisis-mobile and you guys were killing me.

I tried to extend the invitation where I could at the end of the day yesterday, but I was tending to get pulled three directions at once all day and I know I didn't get to say it to everyone - you are all welcome back to have a listen with just a person or two in the room, who promises to stay quiet at least when the music plays. Just give me a call if you find the time and we can roll as much tape as you can stand.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:01:38 AM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 11:00:26 AM »
Dan, thanks to you and Eileen for a most enjoyable afternoon yesterday.  It was also great to meet some of our fellow TP fanatics Mike and Ki as well as others.  The "Little Hatch" tape was especially impressive. I still need to understand Mr. Coltrane better - but the sound was great and I didn't even know it was mono.  Thanks again. Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 11:22:02 PM »
All--

What a great afternoon, and thanks so much to Dan and Eileen for their wonderful hospitality. Everything I hoped I would accomplish in coming up from San Diego came true--meeting great and insightful music fans, learning more about this timeless technology and appreciating even more the labor of love called The Tape Project.

Dan--you'll be happy to hear the trip made me a believer and soon I will be ordering at least a selective subscription to Series 2. I thought Jimmy Smith - The Sermon was simply sublime, with an ambience and natural decay of instruments that beat my beloved vinyl system and sealed the deal for me.

Ki, your knowledge and willingness to help me understand more about R2R machines and help me in my choice of a machine have been invaluable; thank you so much. I will write you off-line about my current thinking.

Thanks also to all the kind and interesting people I met, including Mike, John and Bob. It was a blast! The fresh air this extremely civil Forum exudes was evident throughout the day. I'm already looking forward to the next meeting--

Kip Peterson
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!