Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Pics of Doc's Nagra T conversion  (Read 12038 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Pics of Doc's Nagra T conversion
« on: August 29, 2009, 11:25:49 AM »
Here are some photos of my Nagra T Audio with the custom Tube Repro we built for it.

The Repro is in a standard 2U high cabinet. My Nagra came in what seems to be a fairly typical configuration with a roughly 1U high time code generator module above the meter bridge and a roughly 1U blank panel below the bridge. The time code unit, the blanking panel and the rear cover panels were all removed and the meter bridge was relocated at the bottom of the doghouse. The labels are hard to read in the photo, but the big switch is the playback EQ selector with IEC, NAB and Nagramaster settings. The small flush mounted trimmers adjust left and right output level. Head damping is adjusted by means of internally mounted trimmers at the input.

from the back - you can see that rear cover panel I made from some surplus PC board material. The head cables inside the machine were rerouted to the Teuchel connector with the braided cables coming out of it at the right end of the transport tub. Those cables connect to the Repro inputs at the left end of the Repro. The little red pigtail that is hanging above the Tuchel connector is connected to the internal repro electronics and by swapping the pigtail for the braided cables at the output jack one can reconfigure the machine to the stock playback electronics.

The Repro transformer balanced outputs have split cables on them. The braided cables going out of the picture go to the line preamp and the red and black cables are routed to the line input of the meter bridge. By switching the meter to monitor record one can meter the Repro output.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:05:07 PM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Pics of Doc's Nagra T conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:56:23 AM »
Wow! Just a beautiful job there Doc. After seeing it in person it I can say that it all looks like it came from the Alps just that way.
I really love the way you've made the conversion as flexible as possible.

So kids,.. don't all of you head out there and start bidding against each other driving up the price on these beauties. I might suggest that if you're planning on buying one, start a thread here somewhere so you can exchange PM's and tell possible competitors how your moniker will appear. By communicating with each other everybody can be winners. From what I can tell, there are a number of these out there so don't think that you "have" to win the one you see at the moment (in fact, I've seen guys with high starting prices go month after month without selling them).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 03:43:10 PM »
So is your modified Nagra better than modified Otari?

Someone at another forum said that Doc was just doing it for bragging rights.

According to him, modified Otari is just as good as modified high end decks.

Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:07:57 PM »
My Nagra T Audio with the Tube Repro sounds better to me than one of our modified Otari MX-5050B series machines with a Tube Repro. Please read the forum rules regarding posting other's opinions here.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:58:07 PM »
I'm sorry, should have read it first.

Just let you know, I wasn't making it up, it was at tapetrail that I read it from a thread titled, "Reeeeel to Reeeeeel".

Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:53:58 PM »
I didn't doubt you at all that you had read it somewhere. When I set this forum up I took the advice of a good friend who had implemented a similar rule about members only posting their personal experiences rather than posting that they heard something from someone else. It seems to help keep the environment here a little more relaxed and we don't see too much of the intrigue or long back and forth threads that happen on a lot of other forums. I can only answer honestly about my own experiences. 

We don't recommend one machine, we recommend a range of machines, from ATR 102s and Studers to Technics and Otari MX-5050s. That is because our subscribers have a range of budgets and those are good machines that fall throughout that budget range. We have listed other machines as very appropriate too, like Studer, Revox, Tascam, Nagra T, Otari studio machines, older Ampex studio machines, etc, etc. I currently own an ATR, a few Technics machines, a few Otari 5050s, a Nagra T and probably a few ancient old jobs in storage that I have forgotten about. We have ATRs and Studers at the Studio - A80 and A827 along with an MM1200 running 1" 2 track heads with MR70 electronics. Paul currently has a PR99 in his living room. There's a Tascam hanging around the studio too, and Paul has an A810 stashed somewhere. I've had a nice Ampex 350 here for a while, a modified Ampex 934, and when I was a kid I had an old Roberts. I've had a few other old Ampex consumer rigs too. So it would probably be a mistake to represent me as a guy who is on some particular team when it comes to tape recorders. It's not about taking sides, it's about getting something that pleases you within your budget, and I am always happy to talk to someone about the various choices out there.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 06:42:08 AM »
Hi Dan,
Then while we are on the subject your opionion please on, Would you compare the sound of a Studer A810 with stock electronics vs a Otari MX 5050 BII with the Seduction taking the signal directly from the heads?

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 09:07:53 AM »
Hi Jay,

I have not had the chance to make that direct comparison so I can't give you a definitive answer about what I like best. The Studer transports are really nice and my experience has been that the SS electronics in most machines aren't to my taste. I would also like to try the A810 with outboard playback electronics.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 11:54:25 AM »
Hey Jay,

The more I tweak my Technics, the more I've come to believe that to make a significant improvement in the sound quality I need to bit the bullet and save up for one of the top drawer machines like an ATR, Studer master recorder, etc.
In other words, IMHO your hard earned money is better spent having Doc do his upgrades on your Otari. Those tape path mods and Flux head make an degree of improvement that's going to be difficult to match even when stepping up to those megabuck machines (I'll can let you know for sure in a few years,.. I hope?!). I think you've made the biggest step bypassing the internal playback electronics but, you can make improvements by stepping up to an Eros or Repro too.
Of course it's a different story if you started with an 810. I think the jury is still out on where it will fall on the playback quality curve once one is totally tweaked. But, these things do take time (for freakin' ever in my case) and of course, there has to be demand for developing these mods or it would just be money down the drain. I think that Doc has done a remarkable job getting the mods in place for what are probably the two top prosumer machines that are easily obtainable.
I can full understand the desire to upgrade ( I get it daily!) but once you're working on getting that last 10% out of these tapes, it's all in the details and no adjustment is insignificant.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 03:39:50 PM »
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the encouragement the fact is I have always wanted a Studer, and now I have a means and a way; also someone that is going to be selling. So I am just trying to get my ducks in a row!!! While we are on this subject do you know of anyone who has modded the A810 with the outboard eletronics?
Seduction, Eros, Tube Repro?

jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 06:16:22 PM »
Nope.
 And I think it's high time that someone does (or does so publicly).

I'm guessing that it's probably since it might not be as simple a matter as threading some wire and setting up some outputs like on non-automated machines. I'm sure it could be done but you might loose some bells and whistle type features in the process,.. or maybe not? The only way to find out is to get into one and see.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »
Ya'll here that step up and tell us what you have been doing!!! Calling all A810 owners, what do you like most about your deck?

Jay