Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Good luck in your tape venture...  (Read 13576 times)

Offline James Guillebeau

• View Profile
Good luck in your tape venture...
« on: January 16, 2007, 09:20:40 AM »
nt
"I'm completely free of prejudice. I hate everyone equally." W.C. Fields

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
Re: Good luck in your tape venture...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:54:34 PM »
Absolutely!

This is something that I thought about years ago when Barclay-Crocker went under. But, the logistics and finances involved were mind boggling, so I put it away as a "pipe-dream". I always hoped someone would do this, but I never expected it to really happen.

I'm glad you decided to go all out and use the 15ips and 2 track format, and stay away from Dolby. These were wise decisions.

Though the price for an individual title may be somewhat expensive, I believe that your subscription prices are not unrealistic when the prices that some factory 2 track 7.5ips tapes are selling for on eBay are considered.

I am also glad that you have also provided a way for people to get the best out of these tapes by making optimised machines and upgrading services available.

I hope your project is a success, and I will be watching your future release information with great interest.

David Stangret
http://www.classicrecordings.on.ca/
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 06:37:04 PM »
Thanks David. It's nice to know that not everyone thinks we're insane. Or at least that some folks are nice enough not to say so. ;^)>
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 08:07:03 AM »
Oh, I think you're insane. But I also think that you need insane people to achieve great things!

xavier
Xavier Cortes

Offline James Guillebeau

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 02:17:22 PM »
Why do you have to pattern your marketing to the RICH? Why can't you pattern your marketing to people who have R2R players and want a reasonably priced and affordable tape at 2 track, 7.5ips.  I think you would certainly sell more. Bass actually improves at 7.5ips. Don't even think about DOLBY or DBX! Our ear-brains learn to pump with the compressors. I for one would rather hear the dynamics with a little noise than loose the dynamics. Thanks, James
"I'm completely free of prejudice. I hate everyone equally." W.C. Fields

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 03:52:04 PM »
I sense frustration in your post, and for that I am sorry. What we are attempting is to put out the best sounding tapes possible. After about two or three years of discussion we chose the format based upon a logical fit with our backgrounds and experience, and what we think is sound reasoning.

That's not to say there isn't room for the model you suggest, too. If someone wants to set up a high speed duping rig and roll out quantities of 7.5 ips tapes like Barclay-Crocker did, more power to them. I'm not sure that we have the temperament, the time, or the money to address that niche.

I do feel that I have been attentive to those who want to have good sound on a budget with Bottlehead over the past decade, and so far my experience with Tape project subscribers has been that they are taking time and consideration before investing their hard earned money in the project - and showing patience and understanding as we forge ahead with the delivery of the product. I don't get the sense that any of our subscribers are idle rich folks with money to throw away on a whim. It strikes me that they are instead rich with a passion for music.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 09:37:18 PM »
Being a "born-again" rtr freak, I'm very much in favor of 2-track, rather then 4-track recordings.  The sound is so much "tighter" sounding....

At first, I thought that the 4-track system would be the hot ticket, especially at 7 1/2ips, but I soon figured out that I liked the 2-track at 7 1/2ips and, even at 3 3/4ips, the 2-track sounded much better....

Anyhow, I'm really pleased that the group is putting the tapes out on the 2-track, 15 ips format.  I keep coming across negative thoughts about it, but I think it'll be great to finally get recordings of the that quality at home.  I can't wait for the recordings and really want to thank Doc and the gang for doing this endeavor!
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 01:42:59 AM »
If the sound of the subscription tapes is even in the same ball park as what I heard at Paul's studio, NO ONE will think that it isn't worth the price or the trouble! There are as many different routes to getting great sound reproduction in our homes as there are personal ideas of what great sound is. But none of those pathways have a chance of success without a great source!
I can understand James' sticker shock. I aspire to someday be middle class (income wise at least) so when Doc announced the subscription prices my heart lost a beat, just before it sank to my socks. But luckily, it's taken long enough for me to have saved up the money. It's also lucky that Doc, Paul, and Michael have taken the time to really get each stage right. I go to the SF Symphony a few times a year, and those tickets are up around $100 a pop! Thank god my girl friend isn't into it or it would cost me a fortune ( I guess I'd have to take her to a nice dinner or something too). I think it goes back to the early days of the phonograph when it was proclaimed as the common man's way to have the pleasure of music ( Too bad the early transistor days flushed all that down the toilet!). The recordings weren't cheap. They were cut a few at a time and great care was taken to produce the best.
I guess I'm pretty damn excited about this whole thing.And after seeing all the work and care that these guys are putting into this ( not to mention all the money they are putting on the line ) to produce a media that will be second to none, I have no regrets about riding this wave. Isn't that what we've always asked for,.. a format that is so good that the source becomes a non-issue?
The last thing that Paul said to me as I was leaving his studio ",.. it's a labor of love."  Yeah, I noticed!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 11:11:25 AM »
Why do you have to pattern your marketing to the RICH?

I am am not rich, but I am willing to spend money on recordings that are great performances, and that will knock my socks off sonically.

Why can't you pattern your marketing to people who have R2R players and want a reasonably priced and affordable tape at 2 track, 7.5ips.

I really think that there are already plenty of tapes out there in the used market. If you spend time at garage sales, or on eBay, (which is the largest garage/garbage sale in the world, you will eventually score some great tapes at decent prices.

Bass actually improves at 7.5ips.

That is something I have never heard before.

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca