Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: CALIBRATION TAPE RESULTS  (Read 3704 times)

mep

CALIBRATION TAPE RESULTS
« on: September 03, 2009, 08:33:46 AM »
Doc-Last night I spooled up the calibration tape.  I set both VU meters at 0 with the 1 kHz tone.   Here are the results for the other frequencies:

10 kHz
 Left meter slightly over -1 
 Right meter 0

15 kHz
Left meter slightly over -1
Right meter 0

90 Hz
Left meter 0
Right meter 0

60 Hz
Left meter 0
Right meter 0

30 Hz
Left meter -1.5
Right meter -1.5

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: CALIBRATION TAPE RESULTS
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:14:02 AM »
Wow, really flat response there! I wouldn't touch a thing!
The difference in you right to left readings could be a touch of tape path issues. You might take a magnifier and light and see if it's touching the outside guides somewhere, but even so, that's seems pretty freakin good to me!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:22:19 AM »
Yeah that's very good. There doesn't seem to be any head bump in the mid bass which is great, and the roll off at 30Hz is not that bad, actually it's fairly common. The top end disparity is not bad either and could just be telling you the head needs a really thorough cleaning.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

mep

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 10:28:58 AM »
I thought it was really good also, but I didn't want to say anything until someone smarter than me confirmed how good the results are.  I said yesterday that my ears told me it was great.  The only reason I care about the NAB side of the house is that I make tapes for my brother (from source material he owns) and he can only play them back using NAB equalization (I seem to have all of his best decks).  Honestly, I think that tapes recorded and played back using NAB sound excellent.  The first time I flipped the switch from NAB to IEC was this past Monday night when my TP tapes showed up.

I see while I was typing this that Doc responded.  Thanks Doc.  I am not going to change a thing!