TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Source for 6 screw plastic reel hub for 1/4" tape?  (Read 6044 times)

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Source for 6 screw plastic reel hub for 1/4" tape?
« on: September 01, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Hi guys:

Can you point me to a place where I can order those plastic hubs that come with pancake reel tapes?
I need the hubs with six mounting holes as you can find them in 3M reel tapes usually for wide tapes but some on 1/4" tapes.

Thanks,
Ki
Ki Choi

Offline joeljoel1947

• View Profile
Re: Source for 6 screw plastic reel hub for 1/4" tape?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:52:22 PM »
Hi Ki,
How are you doing?  Did you try splicit.com?  I have bought plastic NAB hubs there many times before.  Can't remember hoe many holes they had though.....
Regards,
Joel Kozlowski

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:53:13 PM »
Thanks Joel for the info and I am doing well.  I kept telling my wife that my day job is getting in the way of my hobby...

Unfortunately, the Splicit.com only had the three screw type also. 

Got some 14" diameter reels made for 2" wide tapes with 6 hole screw hubs.  I am thinking if I can find some 1/4" plastic hubs with 6 hole screw mounting then I can dump the tapes and use the giant reels on my A820...  Then I can load 5000' pancakes!

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline joeljoel1947

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 04:50:01 AM »
Hi Ki,
Trust me, I understand about the day job getting in the way of audio-fun.  I have thought this EXACT THING myself recently!  Sometimes I wish I was retired already!!!

Ahh, I see on the hubs!  You might have to get "creative".  Maybe drill holes into the 3 hole hubs or something to make the 6 you need!  Or cut the 2" ones you have into eight 1/4" pieces using a light-saber.   Or something like that....  ;)

Take care!!
Regards,
Joel Kozlowski

Offline Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 09:50:57 AM »
Hi Ki,

At one time I was given a bunch of 1" reels held together with 6 screws, which I didn't need.  At least for these (I think they were BASF), the three hole center plastic lined up fine with three of the holes and the three "empty"  ones didn't look that bad and it worked great. 
You probably have already tried it, but thought I'd mention it just in case. 
I've been thinking of trying something like that to solve my need for a 12" take-up for my Lyrec.  Good luck.

Brian
Brian Downey

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »
You guys should check around and see just how many of these larger reels you need. I know that Rich Brown was looking for some too. It's could all be made of aluminum so you might be better off just having some made. It may be that any flanges you need could be sourced from some place like Doc and the boys get theirs done but I'm sure there's a minimum order and the price per unit would be accompanied by a set up fee. Of course the quick way would be to have them made locally.
So, you might use this thread or start another as a "group buy" once you get particulars in order. You might also post something to the Ampex list since I recall a couple of folks over there were looking for 14" a while back.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 11:18:55 AM »
Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try.

Have a great Holiday weekend

Brian
Brian Downey