TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Help my Technics RS 1520 just lost the left channel...  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Jettster

• View Profile
Help my Technics RS 1520 just lost the left channel...
« on: August 28, 2009, 08:05:16 PM »
Hi guys-newbie here to the forum and already have a dumb question.

I just got my last of 6 tapes-saxophone colossus-and fired up the deck-hadn't used it for a month or so...

No sound from the left channel-tried several things like cables, cleaning heads, cleaning controls, nothing but hiss if I crank the pre-all stock at this point-but no music.

Right channel sounds wonderful, lol...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jett

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Help my Technics RS 1520 just lost the left channel...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:05:33 PM »
Hi Jett, sorry about you troubles but welcome to the forum.

One thing that happens fairly often is the playback head selector switch on the headblock gets gummed up. Try switch that back and forth a few times. Do you get both channels with the 1/4 track head engaged?

Past that, switch the interconnects left to right to confirm that it's the machine. Then, try another tape to be sure that it's not the tape itself.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 10:06:07 PM »
First, remove the Tape Project tape from the machine to keep it out of harm's way.
Then, you might try exercising the record enable switches and putting the machine into record and back to play a few times and also exercise the tape /source switches  and the 2 track / 4 track switch on the head block a few times to make sure a dirty contact has not interrupted your signal.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:22:34 PM »
Yup, 99% of the time it's the head selector switch. You can remove the head block, remove the plastic cover from the back side, and expose the switch. Often one will find that the metal tabs that hold it together have stretched and made the switch loose with age. It's pretty easy to press those tabs back down and tighten up the switch mechanism.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Jettster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 10:32:21 AM »
Thanks everyone for your prompt and spot on help.

I removed the head block, sprayed the switch really good from both sides while toggling it and replaced it.

Toggled the record/play function a few times for good measure, and BINGO the left channel is ALIVE!

Now all switches and contacts are super clean and the channel balance is better too.

This forum ROCKS!
Jett

"anyone born after 1950 that says they never wanted to be a rockstar is lying" George Thorogood