TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Technics RS-1800?  (Read 10239 times)

Offline beefman

• View Profile
Technics RS-1800?
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:47:11 AM »
Looks like I'm about to become the new owner of an RS-1800. Anyone ever seen one up close and personal? Looks like it has separate head preamps outboard... I'd love to know if I can use THOSE outputs to go into another preamp (say, the Manley Tapeheads).
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Technics RS-1800?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 09:48:20 PM »
Did you buy Hifiman's? Sorry, I've never seen one but (although I'm sure you've forced yourself to read the google translation of the original german) there's a good couple of pic's and a bit about the 1800 on this site. sabinebendlin.de/tonbandwelt/big/27.htm I'm sure you could use another outboard repo amp but you might have to get adapters made if the cables are proprietary.
Aren't you a die hard Studer guy? I seem to recall that you were going to check out TdP's custom electronics. How did that pan out?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline beefman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 04:56:16 PM »
Yep, I did indeed. The original deal apparently went bad. I've only ever seen the German site that had very little info on it. The RS1500 series is what I 'cut my teeth on', so to speak. I jumped at the chance to have the ultimate evolution of the deck. I'm not a die-hard anything... although I DO love the Studers. As for the TdP electronics, still may come to pass, but the electronics will be installed over here. I'm not shipping the damn deck back over to Europe! The two decks are at ATR now. One is getting Aria electronics. The other is just getting rehab'ed.

The 'rehab' deck I bought was over in Germany. I was hoping to send it directly to TdP in the UK but we never got it sorted out and after a few months the warehouse said "Pay up or get out". So, I brought it over here. Turns out the one I found a few weeks later on this side of the pond cost half and was in MUCH better shape (had been recapped, etc). I'm hoping they're done in the next two-three weeks, it's been a LONG wait. Still not sure what I'm going to do with 'em all. I probably need to sell off the 807.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 04:59:22 PM by beefman »
Jeff Kane

Offline beefman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 06:57:27 PM »
Now I know why the original deal went bad. It was a scam. And I got bit. Dummy me, I should KNOW better. Been dying for an 1800 for YEARS. This is what I get. Mr. HiFiMan3 apparently wiped his checking account and ran.. PayPal came back and said they recovered $0.00. Typical. 'Sok, I called AMEX and they may set things to rights. I'm also suing in small claims court and filing criminal charges.

His big mistake was attempting to pull this twice. Once and it's not enough of a pattern to show clear intent. But... twice... and on the back of the first time where I know how to get in touch with the guy and can have him provide evidence? No, he definitely wasn't too smart.

I knew it wasn't good when he said his 'assistant' was supposed to have sent me a tracking number and insisted that it'd shipped. If it had shipped, it's gone into a black hole as it's now over 10 days beyond when UPS said the LONGEST time for it to show could be. He's also disappeared. No answer, no nothing. Fortunately, I also know where his wife worked. Law enforcement can subpoena them if necessary for SSN#s, tax records etc. I did a search and don't think the address he provided is real. The phone # is a VoIP number. It's not a landline. Goes straight to voicemail. He also shows up with a few civil/criminal issues in Hamilton and Montgomery counties (OH). Yet there're no marriage records etc. I know he had a child in December but haven't found the birth record... yet. Public records, they're a great thing.

Nice thing about having friends high up in the TX Department of Public Safety is that the Texas Rangers are a part of it... and their jurisdiction covers the entire state. They also coordinate *very* closely with other state LEOs. So... this will get rather more attention to detail than the average petty crime. Combine that with a civil suit that'll leave a nice permanent judgment and I'd say that should he ever wish to move on with life it's going to be at least a bit more difficult. I don't take kindly to getting f'ed over. Haven't gone to the Rangers yet, but if local PD doesn't get anywhere in fairly short order I'll escalate. I simply don't want to see this happen to someone else.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:03:32 PM by beefman »
Jeff Kane