TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Next Bay Area Get Together?  (Read 15553 times)

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
Re: Next Bay Area Get Together?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
Just a quick update on the gathering...
Our landlord at the studio has just informed me that they are tearing up the sidewalk in front of the building and repaving, YAY, but they need to do it on the 24th and there will be no access to the studio on that day, Crap.
I had a good long talk with her and the resultant is that they are trying to move the day forward. Also, they might allow us access through the building next door, through to the back of the building and in through there.
The listening is still on, but stay tuned to here for an update regarding the means of entry. I'll know more as we get closer.
We look forward to seeing you there/then.

Michael
Managing Director
The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 10:28:48 AM »
Never impede a landlord when they're making improvements!
I just wonder what day the jackhammers will be going (100dB @ 2 meters). Even when they're not running, those big Ingersol Rand compressors make quite a racket.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline oneobgyn

• View Profile
    • Doctor's Rx
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 10:32:40 AM »
I can do it at my house in Danville if you guys can't do it
There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
Tape Project Charter Member #088
Link to my system  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1049587927

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 06:22:47 PM »
So I trust this is still on, with alternative entrance? Should we plan to bring anything? Truly looking forward to it.

Tom
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »
Just a quick update on the gathering...
Our landlord at the studio has just informed me that they are tearing up the sidewalk in front of the building and repaving, YAY, but they need to do it on the 24th and there will be no access to the studio on that day, Crap.
I had a good long talk with her and the resultant is that they are trying to move the day forward. Also, they might allow us access through the building next door, through to the back of the building and in through there.
The listening is still on, but stay tuned to here for an update regarding the means of entry. I'll know more as we get closer.
We look forward to seeing you there/then.

Michael

Just go next door and say the "secret woid" to the receptionist. Someone will come and lead you through the building to the basement, where you give the secret handshake and the other secret sign. After that they will take you through the tunnel. After you pass over the underground lake in the boat you have to bribe the man to take you across in, you tell the other person on the other side that you are there to see Paul and Michael and they MIGHT let you in if they like your looks...
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 03:50:47 PM »

Just go next door and say the "secret woid" to the receptionist. Someone will come and lead you through the building to the basement, where you give the secret handshake and the other secret sign. After that they will take you through the tunnel. After you pass over the underground lake in the boat you have to bribe the man to take you across in, you tell the other person on the other side that you are there to see Paul and Michael and they MIGHT let you in if they like your looks...
[/quote]

If it depends on someone liking my looks, I'm screwed......
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Next Bay Area Get Together. It's on.
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 04:43:56 PM »
The issue with access has been resolved favorably. When you get there just go to our front door and knock. If someone doesn't come right away you could ring "Mastering" from the intercom box.

See y'all on Saturday.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 10:22:47 PM »
Yup, Just re-itterating, all systems go for Saturday at noon and the studio. 1340 Mission street, 94103 ... in case you need to map directions.
See you there.
btw, don't forget to look down at the nice new sidewalk before the neighborhood gets ahold of it.
Managing Director
The Tape Project

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 06:57:28 PM »
Just got back from the gathering. Thanks to Paul and Romo for their generous hospitality. We heard the new Focal speakers (the super duper grand uber somethings). The special treat was to hear excerpts from some of the series two tapes, including two cuts from Linda Ronstadt. Treat number two was to hear everything from the 1 inch 2 track running masters! Got to see many friends and acquaintences as well as several newbies.  A great time was had by all. Thanks again.  Larry
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 09:59:54 AM by Romo »
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 09:14:28 PM »
I agree with Larry,..
What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday afternoon!
The sound of those 1" running masters was excellent. To me, the most notable difference being from the Arnold. I never would have believed it but as good as the sound I'm getting from my set up is, the resolution of the midrange was another step up. This was audible in the quiet sections where a single or just a couple of instruments gave the illusion of being able to hear behind them. Talk about being realistic!
The other highlight was the Jimmy Smith. Wow!! I can't wait to get my hands on that one!

As good as the sound was, it was equally nice to see Paul, Michael and Bob Hodas again (BTW, anyone interested in some of the his "employers" are, check out his client list;
http://www.bobhodas.com/).
And seeing all the Tape Project members there reminded me why this has always been such a great forum to hang out in.

PS A big thanks to Chuck for bringing the yummy platter of goodies!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 10:50:14 AM »
Thanks again to Paul and Romo for hosting such an excellent tape and audio geek-fest. It is so fun to get together with people of like interests and talk about technical stuff and music and just listen to have ones ears re-calibrated to what is possible in recorded sound.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline oneobgyn

• View Profile
    • Doctor's Rx
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2009, 11:00:43 AM »
Darn

I missed it

I was busy all afternoon in my medspa

I am happy to host the next event for SF Bay listeners
There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
Tape Project Charter Member #088
Link to my system  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1049587927

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Pictures of Tape Project Gathering
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 07:06:09 PM »

By ironbut at 2009-10-27
By ironbut at 2009-10-27

By ironbut at 2009-10-27
By ironbut at 2009-10-27

Pictures taken by TomR
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Second Batch of Pic's
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 07:15:25 PM »

By ironbut at 2009-10-27
By ironbut at 2009-10-27

By ironbut at 2009-10-27
By ironbut at 2009-10-27

By ironbut at 2009-10-27

That's it folks.
Once again, many thanks for the crew that made this gathering a great affair!
(and thanks TomR for taking these photos.)
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 12:21:56 AM »
Hi all,

Met Paul at RMAF '09 and accompanied him to the NOLA room where he provided some tasty source material.  I'm so sorry I missed this opportunity to meet everyone and hear 1" masters.

Hopefully, next time!

Sam Lucero
Studer A820
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)