TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Suggestion for Series 3  (Read 21522 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Suggestion for Series 3
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »
So now that we have official word (Steve, you are official, right?) that the suggestion box is open for Series 3, I want to start.

Last night I heard the San Francisco Symphony play Mahler's Symphony 1 with MTT, of course. An overwhelming performance, by the way, and when I was not being either overwhelmed emotionally (the first time that Mahler 1 has ever had that effect on me) or noting details I have never heard before (I had never picked up on the connection between the first movement of Mahler 1 and the Forest Murmurs scene in Wagner's Siegfried before, nor the similiarities in the construction of the 4th movement of Mahler 1 and Beethoven's 9th), I was thinking to myself how inadequate home playback is to convey the impact of a work such as this.

Perhaps the solution is....drum roll.....a release of Mahler 1 by the Tape Project (I could also go for a Mahler 4, by the way, but the sounds of Mahler 1 are still in my head).

As we talked about at the gathering at Larry Toy's, there is a real issue with what performance is chosen when it comes to classical. of course, I think a lot depends on what is available. My first choices, performance wise, might be Kubelik on DG or Horenstein on Unicorn - both, of course, were once available on RTR tape - the Horenstein from Barclay Crocker (I have it), but I would be happy with something that was from Decca (the Solti) for example.

Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Re: Suggestion for Series 3
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
I like Tom's suggestion of Mahler's 1st. I don't know the Kubelik, but I also have the Horenstein on B/C and on Unicorn vinyl. I like its combination of performance and sonics.   Another great performance with fine sonics (unusually good for US Columbia) is Bruno Walter's recording. It was an Absolute Sound Super Disc selection. As I remember reading, Walter studied under Mahler and debuted some of his later works. THe first is one of the two shortest of Mahler's symphonies, but still is over 50 minutes long. One thing is that all the recordings I have of the 1st have a side change in the middle of the 3rd movement - the funeral march.  Doing it on tape should be able to keep the 3rd movement intact. However, it means, for the Walter recording, that the second tape would be about 32 minutes long, close to the limit of the 2500' tapes - with the leaders that TP likes to use.  In any case, Mahler's 1st Sym is a wonderful introduction into Mahler's music - a truly great symphony.
Larry

Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline aruetii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
i think you should include some classicall jazz and classic music plus the milstone of rock and pop music like Beatles etc.

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 01:50:38 PM »
I do like the idea of the monumental Mahler 1st. I have been exploring more of Mahler's work of late, spending some time with the Mehta/Vienna 2nd on London (Super Analogue Disc reissue KIJC-9139). I like Solti's interpretation of the 1st, also on London.
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 04:17:34 PM »
It turns out that Solti recorded the 1st twice - once with the LSO, and once with Chicago.  I have never heard the former, and have not heard the latter for quite a few years, so I can't give any recommendation about the preferred Solti version. It all comes down to what's available to be licensed, anyway. I would gladly participate on a panel to opine on which version to choose, by the way, although I would plump for single malt scotch over gin and tonics.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:32:07 PM »
How about something from (Art Pepper)? (Dexter Gordon)? or anything from Blue Note that's Hard Bop!!! I almost forgot what about some (George Benson)???

Jay
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 10:24:51 PM by jcmusic »
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline tapepath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:35:21 AM »
Yes indeed,
Dexter Gordon, anything from the Blue Note years!
Ken

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
I am an ardent Blue Note fan, so almost any of the recent vinyl reissue titles we're seeing now would be fabulous to see on the Tape Project.

What about some classic, well recorded rock? Are these too difficult or expensive to obtain? I'm thinking along the lines of some old Pink Floyd (pre DSOTM, but that would be cool, too); Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor (wow does his catalog have some great sounding stuff), Dire Straights and others of that era. Suggestions welcome!

I also have a personal favorite artist I'd love to see on the TP: Pat Metheny. His performance on MoFi's new "Pilgrimage" LP of Michael Brecker is wonderful, and his material from 1976-1986 in analog is luscious.

Just some thoughts!
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 10:52:06 PM »
some random thoughts.....

for Series 3 i support the idea stated above for a large Orchestral work, and Mahler's 1st Symphony would be a good choice from my perspective of limited knowledge of Classical music. i love Classical, it makes up 30% of my listening, but i'm not very knowledgable. it might be good to have a couple really knowledgable members be able to consult during the selection process as to the better performances.

i would like to see some Jazz in the Big Band direction; something with some real energy. ideally it could be Duke Ellington or maybe Count Basie. but Harry James or some other 'golden age' Big Band might be great too. all the Jazz we have so far is small combo. a big band recording should be stereo, not mono. there is nothing like a big band at full-tilt boogie. those of us with full-range systems would like some music that gives those type systems a bit of a workout.

i listen to many different types of guitar music. along those lines i might suggest Leo Kottke (A Shout Toward Noon), Doc Watson (Third Generation Blues) and agree with those above mentioning Ry Cooder (although not specifically 'BVSC') and Pat Metheny.

we can dream about Pink Floyd, or the Beatles, or Led Zepplin. those aren't gonna happen. But a guy like Neil Young might agree to something based on his view of analog recordings......or maybe Donald Fegan and Walter Becker of Steely Dan could be convinced to offer one of their gems.....maybe worth a try.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:28:21 PM by mikel »
Mike Lavigne

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 10:29:12 PM »
\...or maybe Donald Fegan and Walter Becker of Steely Dan could be convinced to offer one of their gems.....maybe worth a try.

I so agree Mike! I've been joyfully immersing myself in Brilliant Corners since it arrived, and in my sleep it occurred to me a Tape Project release of Gaucho (my favorite--the Larry Carlton guitar solo on "Third World man" will live forever) or Aja would just simply be a sonic home run.

Doc and company--what do you think? Might we dream?

Kip
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 04:21:05 AM »
Did someone say Art Pepper? Certainly something from the Contemporary catalogue engineered by the great Roy DuNann - and there's plenty of Pepper there to season our Season :o)

Brian.

PS My son has just suggested a Blue Note - Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin' Else".
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 09:11:31 AM by Brian C. »
Brian Clark, One Inch Studio, London, UK.

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 07:29:11 AM »
I might add that something from (Crosby Stills & Nash) would be awesome!!! Can you say (Deja vu)!!! Or maybe even something from (America) alot of acoustics!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline mittg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »
Eva Cassidy moves me. No one sings "Natural woman" like she does. She also does a beautiful rendition of "What a wonderful world"and "tall trees in Georgia". Unfortunately she passed away at a young age. Her parents have done a good job of getting her music out there. Maybe, just maybe they have the master recordings
Gerry Mittica

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 06:37:58 PM »
Hello,

For Series III, I respectfully propose...Stevie Wonder: Talking Book and Innervisions.

Vbr,
Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Mahler 1....yet again
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 12:56:58 AM »
At the risk of becoming really boring, I just finished listening to my B/C tape of Mahler's First, conducted by Horenstein. I have a goal of listening to all of my Mahler this year, the 100th anniversary of Mahler's death, and I was struck yet again what a great release this symphony would be for the Tape Project.
Thomas Ream