TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Lyrec FRED portable editing deck - now ReVox PR99 player.  (Read 22827 times)

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
Lyrec FRED portable editing deck - now ReVox PR99 player.
« on: September 19, 2009, 02:41:15 AM »
Hello. I have a well-used Lyrec FRED editor which I have purchased to enable the use of large spools with a Nagra IV. However, I wonder if anyone has had experience modifying such a Lyrec for high quality playback duties? I was thinking of perhaps taking signal from the head (it only has the one of course) to an external valve pre-amp such as the Bottlehead.
Advice would be appreciated by this "newbie" who last spun spools 47 years ago!
Thanks.

Brian.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:18:50 PM by Brian C. »
Brian Clark, One Inch Studio, London, UK.

Offline Brian

• View Profile
Re: Lyrec FRED portable editing deck.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »
I also have a Fred for purposes similar to yours.  I believe you will find the primary problem you will confront in upgrading a Fred for high quality playback is in tape transport wow and flutter.  The Lyrec manual cautions that, while a Fred is fine for editing, it does not have the quality transport mechanism of the Frieda or other top-of-the-line Lyrec machines.  If you need a manual for your Fred, let me know.  Another Forum member emailed me a copy of his - and I'd be happy to help you also.  Here's the thread, which also had some other good info on Lyrecs.  Good luck with your project.
Brian D.

P.S. Welcome to the group!
Brian Downey

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Brian. I would very much like a copy of that manual. I'll PM you my email address.
I've just had a communication from Andrew Marshall who has sent me his short video of the FRED/Nagra lacing & operation and he confirms your observations re the transport's unsuitability for quality playback. I'll just have to hope that my friend will not be borrowing my Nagra for his live recordings for too long (that's what got me thinking about adapting the FRED).

Hmm, perhaps I should look out for a FRIDA....

Brian.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:31:51 AM by Brian C. »

Offline Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 01:36:33 PM »
I know the temptation on the Frida. There were a couple up on eBay earlier this month but I'm concerned about parts and service.  A year or so ago a group in Denmark put up a site promising to offer service, manuals, and parts for all the Lyrec machines - but over a year later they haven't done anything to the site and have failed to answer any of my emails.  At least with an Otari or Ampex or Studer or Nagra I know where I can get parts and service.  (I'm not sure whether that means I am a coward or just indicative of the number of "boat anchors" I already have lying around the basement!)
Have a good weekend.
Brian

P.S.  Just sent the manual as a reply to your email.
Brian Downey

Offline Topper

• View Profile
Lyrec FRED as a transport
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »
If the nail hasn't already been put in the Fred's proverbial coffin please allow me.  Some capstan-less designs are great.  Some...uh...aren't.  The Fred won't do it for you.  A Frida, on the other hand, could provide lots of pleasure.  I consider it to be smarter than I am.
Walter
Walter Clay

Guy in New England with more tapes and vinyl than digital, though he does have pretty good playback capability as well as the means to record digitally when needed.

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 02:16:07 AM »
The Requiem has been played for FRED. Looking at other 2-track 15 ips options here in the UK since my Nagra will be going away for an indefinite period from Wednesday.

PDF received and appreciated Brian.

Brian.

Offline Peter C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 04:07:36 AM »
Brian,

How long will the Nagra be away? I have a Teac X-1000M that I would be happy to lend out for a few months if you covered collection/postage both ways. Its not been used much since I received it last year - from Bulgaria or Hungary, I can't recall. If it did need new belts maybe that's something you could pickip in lieu of rental. PM me if you're interested.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 04:09:12 AM by Peter C »
Peter Cawthron

Otari MX-55N, Tascam 32B with DX-4D, Teac A-3340, Teac A-3440 with RX-9, Teac X-1000M.

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 11:11:23 AM »
Thanks Peter, PM sent.

Brian.

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:56:01 AM »
Just bought a minty Mark I PR99 repro/edit deck and will sell off the FRED and stop looking for a FRIDA.

Brian.

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »
And what a delicious machine it is too. Oh that Swiss Precision is a joy to behold with its silent running...

Now to make up a matchbox.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:21:09 PM by Brian C. »

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ReVox PR99 player.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 09:42:03 PM »
That looks pretty much identical to the PR-99 repro-only that's doing playback duty in my living room. Mine started out as a low speed machine, but I had it converted by a local tech. He installed the high speed motor and the correct motor bracket mounting, so it works as well as a native high speed machine.

Do a search on the forum and you will find a lot of useful information. For sound quality, the most important advice is to use the Monitor outputs...they appear on the DIN connector. That will bypass a lot of poor sounding electronics that you probably don't need. Second, Arian Jansen has some DIY modifications to the repro board, and they open up the sound quite nicely, as well as converting it to the IEC curve. Third, Arian sells a modified repro board, which has a number of additional mods beyond his DIY article. I'm currently running a repro card from Arian, and at this point it's starting to be a pretty good sounding deck.

Anyone who's going to RMAF can hear some of our tapes played on such a machine in Philip O'Hanlon's Vivid loudspeakers room.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
Re: Lyrec FRED portable editing deck - now ReVox PR99 player.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 05:51:50 AM »
Thanks for the tip about using the monitor output Paul. It's a 7 1/2 / 15 IEC machine (I'm in the UK).
I would like to mod to allow switched IEC/NAB eq since some of the tapes I will be playing will be from an Ampex 300.

I've got print-outs of all the Arian Jansen stuff and will be looking to tweak the replay amp.

How easy is it to remove the rack-mounting brackets? I have yet to open it up and it looks like the screws might be tricky to get to.

Brian.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:54:32 AM by Brian C. »

Offline Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 09:46:36 PM »
A year or so ago a group in Denmark put up a site promising to offer service, manuals, and parts for all the Lyrec machines - but over a year later they haven't done anything to the site and have failed to answer any of my emails. 

Oops - spoke too soon.  I just noticed they have changed the Lyrec website and added:

"Repair shops etc. can now acquire direct links to service manuals and parts lists.  Contact us on [email protected]"

Maybe there is still hope?

Brian

Brian Downey

Offline tapepath

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 10:11:18 AM »
Hello Brian,
Thanks for posting the PR99 deck photo! To remove the rack brackets, take off the back enclosure and that give you access to the bracket bolts.
Cheers, Ken

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:43:20 AM »
Thanks Ken, the chap who sold it told me how easy it is. Took less than 5 minutes :o)

Does anybody else think the multicolour BASF spool rather ghastly?

Brian.