Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Lyrec FRED portable editing deck - now ReVox PR99 player.  (Read 22802 times)

Offline tapepath

• View Profile
Re: Lyrec FRED portable editing deck - now ReVox PR99 player.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »
No problem, Brian.
Well, it's certainly colorful, probably a graphic artist thought it looked like it was moving even when standing still. Kind of like paint stripes on a car. The TP reel is a good looking example. Also, the reels that came with Tandberg decks look pretty good.
Ken

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 12:36:07 PM »
I much prefer the plain vanilla take-up spool. Cool & conservative.

BTW, this wonderful old war horse has just been delivered to the studio. Beautiful resto job.

Hence the need for a IEC/NAB switch on the PR99.

Brian.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:42:42 PM by Brian C. »
Brian Clark, One Inch Studio, London, UK.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
Wow, nice Brian!
Well, you can't just post a picture like that and not give us some details!
Is looks like it might be a "B" wind machines?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 01:09:51 PM »
Well, my studio-owner pal was here today picking up the Nagra and admitted he had only just put in the valves but hadn't yet fired it up. Working up the courage! Shouldn't be be any problems, it was well crated for its journey across the pond.

It's an early Fifties Ampex 300 full-track, 15 & 30 ips. Many great hits and jazz classics were mastered on these 'bathtubs'.
It takes it's place alongside a 3M M79 and Studer A80, the latter will be out on its ear when a long-awaited C37 materialises.
The studio is small but quite nicely equipped with vintage gear including Telefunken mic amps, Universal Audio compressors, EMT plate reverb, AKG C12, Neumann KM56 & U67 (nice long body U47 currently with Peter Gefehl in Germany for fettling), Schoeps 221 and Coles 4038 mics. Looking for a good Neumann M49 and (we can dream!) an undamaged Altec 639 birdcage.

Early days yet but the ball is rolling with 1st album recorded there getting good reviews in the press.
Wish I was younger and fitter to be more actively involved than I am :(

Brian.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:04:32 PM by Brian C. »

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 04:26:55 AM »
Now and again I will be playing tapes from the Ampex on the IEC PR99. I could fiddle about and perhaps convert the Interface Connector to take a dongle (anyone done this?) but since the need will be, at the very most, once a week or so maybe I could procure a 7.5/15 NAB repro board and simply swap as needed. So if anyone's got one gathering dust..... ;o)

Now here's a funny thing, the machine is 7.5/15 IEC but the chassis says...

Brian.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:45:40 AM by Brian C. »

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »
No problem, Brian.
Well, it's certainly colorful, probably a graphic artist thought it looked like it was moving even when standing still. Kind of like paint stripes on a car. The TP reel is a good looking example. Also, the reels that came with Tandberg decks look pretty good.
Ken

I started another topic under general discussion -
"favorite take up reels"
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline hticheno

• View Profile
    • Crescent Entertainment Ltd.
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 06:04:18 PM »
Hi. There were at least two models of the FRED.  The RB-02 and RB-04.  (One might wonder if there was also an RB-01 and RB-03). In any case it's important to get the right manual for the right model.  Lyrec manuals often do not have schematics as they seem to have been kept in separate files.  This is true of the FRIDAS as well.  There was a Frida I, that seems to have gone through two minor iterations but are quite similar. Around 1993 there was a major reworking of the machine resulting in the FRIDA II.  Most mechanical parts are interchangeable, but there were major changes in the electronics with the addition of quite a few new features. So noting the right model is important to get the right manual and schematics.  Anyone in a jam should feel free to contact me. I have some spare parts and most literature for the FRIDAS.

I've had eight of the FRIDAS and have found them fairly easy to work on.  The boards are unique to the machines but most of the mechanical workings are stock industrial parts.  I too noticed that the company in Denmark using the lyrec.dk name has updated its website and is offering parts and manuals. I contacted them recently and am waiting to hear back.

Harold Tichenor
Simon Yorke S7 tt/Lyrec Fridas r2r/Technics 1500s r2r/Sony TC 770 & 772 r2r/Tandberg 3014 cassette/Tandberg 3001 tuner/Tandberg 3015 cd/Musical Fidelity 3D cd/Pioneer DV-AX10 sacd/Musical Fidelity M3 integrated/B&W 804s/Dolby A301 and 330 decoders/Ashley PQX572/and a whole mess of master tapes