Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: ampex 440 recap  (Read 4601 times)

noirphant0m

ampex 440 recap
« on: September 20, 2009, 04:00:01 PM »
i have just purchased two Ampex 440 decks one is an ver A 1/2 in 4 track the other is a ver B 1/4 2 track. What is the best source for capacitors? What type of caps should i use.i

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: ampex 440 recap
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »
Hi noirphantOm,
Welcome to the forum. (btw we use our real names here)

I think you'd be much more successful finding answers to these questions if you posted them on the Ampex list. Many of the active Ampex employee's and those who've kept the breed alive post there. You need to subscribe to the list at;

http://recordist.com/

There have been a number of discussions of 440's over the years and once you've registered, you can search the backpages of the list and ask questions of the list members. It will pay to be as specific as you can regarding just what you wish to achieve with this recapping.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

noirphant0m

Re: ampex 440 recap
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 12:31:14 AM »
cool thank you