Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: VU LEVELS  (Read 37855 times)

mep

Re: VU LEVELS
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 07:52:36 AM »
Paul, I understand what you are saying about keeping your eyes closed and smiling.  The other night I came home from work in a bad mood and put on Waltz for Debbie.  Pretty soon I forgot about everything that was bothering me and just relaxed.  In a very short period of time, Waltz for Debbie has become like an old pair of shoes that you are comfortable with.  As for the levels, I will play the test tape again and mark the spot where the VU meters read 0 on the 1kHz tone and play all TP tapes back at that position.

Mark

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
Paul, I understand what you are saying about keeping your eyes closed and smiling.  The other night I came home from work in a bad mood and put on Waltz for Debbie.  Pretty soon I forgot about everything that was bothering me and just relaxed.  In a very short period of time, Waltz for Debbie has become like an old pair of shoes that you are comfortable with.  As for the levels, I will play the test tape again and mark the spot where the VU meters read 0 on the 1kHz tone and play all TP tapes back at that position.

Mark

I predict you will find that the peak levels exceed that by a couple of dB on all the tapes, but the average level might be lower on some than others due to the nature of the dynamic range of the music.
Hey, it's better than most modern "well mastered" rock CDs where the meters go to zero and just stay there throughout the entire song.
:)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:19:01 AM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 08:23:56 AM »
Paul,
Do not misunderstand me!!! I am just saying that some of the tapes are recorded higher than others!!!, that's all.

Jay

Jay,

That's what I thought you were saying. And I'm basically saying the same thing.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

mep

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 09:14:03 AM »
"Jay,

That's what I thought you were saying. And I'm basically saying the same thing."

And that is the question that I was asking and I now have my anwser.

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 09:20:07 PM »
Well I am glad we got that all cleared up, and everyone is happy !!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.