TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: So when do we open the Suggestion Box for Series 3?  (Read 3777 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
So when do we open the Suggestion Box for Series 3?
« on: September 16, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »
Only kidding a bit. There were loads of worthy ideas for Series 2 but it feels to me that only a few suggestions ended up in the final cut. I would bet some of this goes to the art of the possible - we could pine all year long for a Dave Brubeck tape, for example, but if the masters are unavailable from Sony they are unavailable. So it would be great if we could see a list of what labels are willing to play ball and then focus some suggestions on that.

Since Capitol is one, based on Heart Like a Wheel - I would love to see a Frank Sinatra tape. IMHO, Frank's best stuff was done for Capitol. There are also some famous Stokowski recordings on Capitol - the Planets, Shostakovich's Sym 11, etc. I'm sure that everyone has a few favorites, just to mention Capitol.

Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: So when do we open the Suggestion Box for Series 3?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
Hi Tom, glad to see you re-upped your subscription.

I don't see any reason that we shouldn't start stuffing the suggestion box immediately. I kinda think that this forum is under used as it is.
I think you're probably right about some companies not willing to hand out the rights to just anybody but I think that the more well known the Tape Project becomes, the more likely it'll be that those barriers will fall.
BTW, I heard a rumor that there's a review brewing over on Positive Feedback so perhaps that won't be such a long wait.

I like your suggestion for some Sinatra. I have to confess that I'm not too familiar with his catalog but whenever I hear him sing, I can't help but think that he really was a star who deserved all the fame he received.
There have been a few other suggestions for his albums (as well as Tony Bennett who I really enjoy). I suggest that you search for those other threads and revive one that mentions a particular album that you'd like to see. There's alway a better chance of being released if a number of members jump in. Bear in mind that some of those suggestions were made when there were under a hundred members.

So, lets get this forum moving folks! It's not often that a company asks for our input and maybe just a couple of these suggestions see the light of day the year/series that they're made for, but if it's a good suggestion and Paul, Romo and Doc like them too, they'll keep plugging away at getting them in the future.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades