Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Crusty C37  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
Crusty C37
« on: October 05, 2009, 10:06:34 AM »
This has been unearthed from the back of someone's garage. The current owner describes the top deck as "rough as a pineapple"!

How does this rate as a challenge?
Easy? Moderate? Difficult? Hard Difficult?...

Any pointers?

Thanks.

Brian.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:08:32 AM by Brian C. »
Brian Clark, One Inch Studio, London, UK.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Crusty C37
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:27:56 AM »
That looks pretty challenging to me but I think that restoring it is possible. It really depends on what we can't see on just how tough that's going to be. It looks like there's been some water damage over the years so I guess my big question would be regarding the motors.
If you're considering this machine, you should spend a little time searching the international auction sites and used pro audio sources to get an idea of what's out there. Most of the C37's I see are already restored but they must be getting them from someplace.

Also, check out this old thread of a magnificent restoration (great pictures and step by step too).

http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index.php/topic,404.0.html

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:57:34 AM »
Here's another fine looking example - but expensive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STUDER-REEL-TO-REEL-TAPE-RECORDER-C37-TUBE-TYPE_W0QQitemZ290355639734QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item439a8b75b6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Win the lottery, buy this one, keep the pineapple for parts?

Brian
Brian Downey

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:01:49 PM »
Wow,.. that's a beauty!

I doubt that you can really expect to do a first class job like that for a whole lot less (if you were to job all the work out that is).
I've heard that restoring Ampex 351's can end up being quite a bit too.

There really are all kinds of very cool machines out there (Telefunkens, EMI).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 03:36:26 AM »
Well, one experienced UK user told me that a lot of the C37s here were cannibalised for parts to keep others in work 25 or more years ago.

He suggests that unless one can get certain unobtamium parts machined to avoid taking on the "pineapple" therefore unless my pal's trade contacts come up trumps I guess we will just have to carry on looking.

That machine in Korea looks perfect. The stuff of dreams.

Having just imported a near-as-damn perfect restored Ampex 300 and still buying mics we can't afford to be too precipitate right now.

Brian Clark, One Inch Studio, London, UK.