TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: More on Mahler 1  (Read 8275 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
More on Mahler 1
« on: October 07, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »
As you all know, I am campaigning to have a Mahler symphony included in Series 3, probably the 1st, although the 4th would not be unwelcome. I am running a poll on the analog versions over on the Mahler board (www.gustavmahlerboard.com), a place where some really serious Mahlerites lurk. I have identified, mostly by prompted memory so there may be a few missing, some 11 stereo recordings that should have been recorded using analog technology given the dates they were recorded. I am asking the inmates on the Mahler board to vote to see which version might be the favorite.  Not sure what this will tell us since the winner might be a recording that can't be obtained for the Tape Project, but what the heck, this can be fun. So if you feel like it, please vote!!

One interesting fact - of the 11, 6 were recorded in the US, with US orchestras - that wouldn't be the case today!
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: More on Mahler 1
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »
Great idea Tom.

I guess I'm kinda in the same space you are regarding the Mahler Symphonies. I've always loved listening to them but don't profess to be as knowledgeable as many on particular performances on record. I do have some of the symphonies on London with Solti and CSO and always enjoyed the ones I have.

BTW I also saw the SFO perform the 1st and I have to agree that it was glorious!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »
Way to go Tom.

I've been campaigning for Wagner but a Mahler First would be spectacular. Problem is I'm starting to suspect the TP guys know I'll buy whatever they produce no matter what so they'd better listen to undecided or "on the fence" guys :^)
Xavier Cortes

Offline microstrip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »
Tom,
For performance the 1961 Bruno Walter version with the CSO is still my choice.
It is not easy to listen for sound quality - after a few minutes you forget about it!
Francisco

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 05:29:17 PM »
Thanks, guys, for the support. Don't forget to vote!
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Update on Mahler 1 voting
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 05:21:20 PM »
FWIW, the rabid Mahlerites that post on the Mahler board have voted some. I found a few more analog recordings that I added to the mix, but only 6 performances have received votes:

Kubelik   6
Giulini     5
Levine/Solti (tie) 3
Horenstein/Walter/Leinsdorf Boston 1

I don't know what this means, if anything, for the campaign to have Mahler's 1st symphony included in Series 3. The Kubelik is available in two performances - the famous 1967 studio recording on DG, and also a 1979 live recording on Audite (highly recommended on arkivmusic.com, for one) that is SPARS coded ADD....which would mean the original tapes would be analog, right? However, they were mxed digitally, so our intrepid band would have to get their hands on the premix tapes, if that's possible, and do an analog mix. One wonders, however, if the powers that have the original tapes for this Audite release might be easier to deal with than DG......

I am surprised by the depth of support for the Giulini, and the lack of support for Horenstein and Walter.  The Mahler board is virulently anti-Solti but the view is that the earlier Mahler recordings with the LSO and the Concertgebouw are not bad.
Thomas Ream

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 06:34:23 PM »
I may be vilified for saying this, but isn't the fourth movement of Mahler's Symphony No. 5, the Adagietto, the single most beautiful piece of classical music ever written?  :-)  So, if it's to be a Mahler, No. 5 would (perhaps unfortunately) would be my vote.

Kip
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »
I may be vilified for saying this, but isn't the fourth movement of Mahler's Symphony No. 5, the Adagietto, the single most beautiful piece of classical music ever written?  :-)  So, if it's to be a Mahler, No. 5 would (perhaps unfortunately) would be my vote.

Kip

Vilified never. However, IMHO, the single most beautiful piece of classical music ever written is the love scene in Berlioz' Romeo & Juliet. I started a campaign for Mahler's 1st for a number of reasons: First, I had just arrived home from hearing a marvelous performance live. Second, not all of the subscribers are classical music aficianados, and the 1st is more accessible than the 5th. Third, if I am not mistaken, the 5th is a tad longer than the 1st so is more likely to fit on the two reel format.

So the task is not to vote for a Mahler symphony, but to vote for an analog version of Mahler's First. You can vote at www.gustavmahlerboard.com.

Thomas Ream

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 08:59:35 PM »
Fair enough, Tom--and I understand the reasons for the choice of Mahler's Symphony No. 1 for the Tape Project format. Thanks for not coming down too hard on me!  :-)

Scene 3 of Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet is achingly beautiful, I agree; however, beauty is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder and the chord resolution at the end Mahler's Adagietto is to me (and maybe just me) the single most beautiful, gut-wrenching musical transition ever composed. And this from someone who is more of a fan of the Baroque, Classical and Romantic periods! In any event, such discussions are quite fun, so thank you for starting this one.

Kip
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 09:27:03 AM »
Kip, I agree that the Adagietto is very beautiful. Visconti used it extensively in his film of Thomas Mann's "Death in Venice" many years ago. I think that was my introduction into the 5th.  Interestingly, Visconti changed Mann's character Aschenbach (IIRC) from an author to a very Mahler like musician.  I really like Barbirolli's recording of the 5th, on EMI - I have the original vinyl. Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline PJ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 05:35:39 PM »
I'm not registered with the Mahlerites so I didn't vote. But my vote would certainly be Leinsdorf/BSO by RCA, "mastered on RCA magnetic tape". Says so right on the album cover. I'm not a collector, just a fan, but I always thought that was the definitive recording. I once had a 7.5ips tape, might have given it to Dan S. The recording is quite good, and I at least find it musically the best of any I've heard, live or recorded.

I fully agree, the First is the most accessible. Actually the Fourth is pretty accessible as well, but it has never moved me like the First.

The only other M1 I have at hand is the Barbirolli (Halle). The recording is in stereo, but unpleasant sounding and quite noisy - possibly because my pressing is on Vanguard-Everyman. Label says "A Pye recording - 1967".

Paul Joppa
Bottlehead R&D