Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Harman closes Studer production  (Read 15503 times)

Offline Carla

• View Profile
Harman closes Studer production
« on: October 08, 2009, 09:45:33 AM »
Please help save Studer Audio.

In a move to cut down wage costs, Harman International want to close down the Studer equipment production in Switzerland. Their only intention is to fulfill the Harman Int. cost-cutting program.

PLEASE support the campaign on the following plattforms:
FB link is
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=172502908746&ref=mf

Blog link with background information is:
http://harman-do-not-kill-studer.org

If you have a blog pls post it there or on twitter. Thanks!

To save Studer we need to be fast.

Thanks! Carla

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Re: Harman closes Studer production
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:32:25 AM »
Hi Carla:

Thanks for the information.  Kip from our forum told me of similar news during the TP gathering at the Doc's place last month but didn't think seriously about it then.

I am sad to say that I am part of the corporate quarterly rat race during the day where nothing else matters other than current quarter's profit numbers.  I assume the revenue generated by the current Studer operation in Switzerland isn't adding to Harman's bottom line or Studer is no longer strategically important to the Harman International's future... 

We not only have less and less Studer technical experts as time goes by but now there will be no more Studer company...  Would it mean Audiohouse will also cease to operate?

It is clear - folks who love the sound and magic of reel tape machines would support the campaign but it will be - as they say - trying to break down the stone wall with eggs... Unfortunately, our love of Studers probably will do little to change the corportate's business decisions but untill we try, we won't know!

I am in!

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 11:04:19 AM »
I'm afraid the only thing that could save Studer is $$$$$$$$$$
Making Harmon an offer they couldn't refuse.

Pity Bill Gates is not a fan.

Brian.
Brian Clark, One Inch Studio, London, UK.

Offline Carla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »
Hi Ki!

Thanks for your comment that you are in! You have put the situation in a nutshell. The fact that we have got so much reaction to our campaign has made Harman Management worried. They might come to Switzerland  to talk to Studer.

Offline Carla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:19:06 AM »
Hi Brian

Exactly!
We want the share holders to realise that Studer will lose it's clients if they just produce run of the mill equipment.

Carla

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »
I'd read about the loss of the space allocated for the Studer Museum over on the Ampex list a while back. I assumed that the Swiss offices and manufacturing facility couldn't be far behind.

Thanks for letting us know how to help with keeping a cornerstone of pro audio running at the level it should.
I can only wonder if the prestige of Studer is being overlooked and it's position as the "crown jewel" of Harmon Int.'s holdings is somehow being overlooked.

It is my pleasure to add my name to those who are fighting to keep the brand alive and supporting your cause.

Carla, if you haven't already, you should certainly post your message on the Ampex list since there are a great many folks who would be just as happy as I am to join your efforts there.

http://recordist.com/ampex/mail-sub.html

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Carla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »
Thanks for the helpfull information and support!

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »
Good point Steve.

Carla, please post your messag also at

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/STUDER/

it's a new Studer List with many subscribers who care about Studer.

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Re: Harman closes Studer production - GET THE SPARE PARTS
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 05:33:05 AM »
Assuming that the decision is irrevocable and that no outside entity steps up to buy the company, then at least some smart person should offer to buy whatever spare parts are available - so they don't end up in a dumpster - I'll invest!

Charles

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:39:06 AM »
Hi Charles:

I believe the arrangement for spare parts is already in place wtih Audiohouse as far as analog tape machines are concerned.  Even Martin Berner is responding to technical questions sent to Audiohouse on Studer R2R with Audiohouse email address as I understand it.

The main issue is that unlike Nagra or other companies that are still surving in the digital age, Studer never invested in changing Pro market and did'nt leverage their brand power into new market such as the high-end consumer space.  We value and love Studer products for our TP applications but it seems the rest of the potential big Pro customers are looking at Studer as a "has been" company.

If availability of the key spare parts for my hurde of Studers are at risk, I will join you for cerntain.
Ki Choi

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 09:09:34 AM »
me too; count me in on any efforts which might be appropriate to protect the Studer parts or info access.
Mike Lavigne

Offline Carla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 09:27:28 AM »
Hi Ki

Studer is making profits and selling to large high-end clients like the BBC. I added a link to the bottom of the page.

These are excerpts of a letter sent to Blake Augsburger CEO Harman Pro refering to the economic reasons behind Harman's tactics for closing Studer:

"The decision is particularly difficult to understand given the profitability of Studer. The company has been operating in a highly profitable manner for many years, and even in the crisis year of 2008/09 managed to achieve an EBIT of 10 percent. So why place its very existence at risk?

A look at the situation within the mixer group as a whole leads one to suspect that the move was prompted in the bid to cover up gross management errors at Soundcraft. Soundcraft missed the changeover to the digital age and in technological terms is lagging behind the competition. In 2005 the Soundcraft factory in Potters Bar was renovated at considerable cost to create a high- tech production plant. Yet within a short time production had to be transferred to China, since Studer Professional Audio GmbH, Regensdorf (CH)
when the workshops in England have been standing empty.

And although Soundcraft is cross- subsidised by Studer via the mandatory purchase of raw materials at excessively high margins, Soundcraft recorded a high loss in the last financial year and is in debt.

The situation at Studer is completely different. Thanks to the past few highly successful financial years, the company enjoys high liquidity and an equity ratio of more than 80 percent. The lion?s share of these funds was passed on internally in the form of loans (to Soundcraft, among others).

Given all these facts, one must conclude that Soundcraft is publicly seeking to nurse its ailing balance sheet back to health at the cost of Studer.

The move to transfer production is only the first step on the way to Studer?s dismantlement. In the next phase, Soundcraft will want to continue profiting from the wealth of technical expertise in Regensdorf and, with the aid of Studer?s R&D Department, endeavour to catch up with the competition. But once it no longer needs Studer?s know-how, the Regensdorf company will be closed down for good, thereby freeing the way for the transfer of Studer?s considerable assets to England and for Soundcraft?s turnaround."

Yesterday, after 28 years working for Studer, an employee was fired for giving an interview to the local press and talking to the Union.

Can anyone help out? I am looking for US bloggers who might be interested in the story.

Best, Carla

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/technology/bbc-radio-picks-up-studer-consoles/5005948.article

Offline Carla

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »
Breaking News!

In a press conference tomorrow,
a group of Swiss investors who want save Studer Audio from being closed by Harman
will present their plans for a buy-out!
If that works, 100 employees keep their jobs and Studer will continue to produce great audio equipment!

Keep your fingers crossed, this might be a story where the good guys win. But we are not there yet,
so join the FB group to give the campaign a further boost!
Updates will be posted on
http://harman-do-not-kill-studer.org/?p=331
and
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=172502908746&ref=mf

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 09:44:57 AM »
This is all well and good, but let's be clear: Studer has been out of the tape recorder business for years. They now make digital broadcast consoles. I'm pretty sure they sold off all the parts already.

I appreciate their history, and I appreciate their keeping all the documentation available online. But fundamentally they are now just another division of Harman.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject