Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: What do you do when a reel is so warped...  (Read 3934 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
What do you do when a reel is so warped...
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:49:08 PM »
that the tape rubs against it? I'm specifically referring to 7" plastic reels from old prerecorded tapes. I guess the options are either to replace it and loose the sticker or live with the rubbing noise. Just would like to know what others do.
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do when a reel is so warped...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:23:41 AM »
I've got a few like that. The reel can be so out of whack that it'll damage the tape eventually (so you won't get a decent wrap and eventually the tape will curl). I replace the reel but store the original with the box.
 I also have some records that I do a similar thing. Sometimes the inner sleeve is really cool looking but since it's old, it sheds lint like crazy. I get a nice new inner sleeve and save the original so I can look at it.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades