Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Check out Sony studio in NYC  (Read 39637 times)

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Check out Sony studio in NYC
« on: October 14, 2009, 03:20:52 PM »
See the last R2R machine...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/Sony-Studio-Pano.html

It was lifted from the Yahoo forum.

Enjoy,

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Check out Sony studio in NYC
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 07:01:07 PM »
Very cool Ki!
I just wanta know why the ATR doesn't have a name???
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 11:01:25 PM »
Yea Ki that is pretty cool!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 12:12:41 PM »
I thought it was interesting to see the natual habitat for the pro reel to reel machines.  The clutter in the room and the Herman-Miller Aeron chairs (the same one I use in my room) spreadout may contribute to good sound - I guess.

There is an ATR machine next to the two Studer A800 multi-track machines.  The A820 shown at the end seems to be a 1/2" machine judging from the height of the tape rollers with two other four track A820s in the back ground.  I'll have to check if Studer made four track version of the A820.  A real Studer expert might know.
Ki Choi

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 12:43:54 PM »
Aeron! Me need! Back is killing me from the crappy chairs in the place. Was surprised to find one as the desk chair at one of the hotel rooms we stayed in during the Headfi meet last summer. Almost fell asleep in it about 5 seconds after my butt hit the seat. They are amazingly comfortable.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:29:55 PM »
Aeron! Me need! Back is killing me from the crappy chairs in the place. Was surprised to find one as the desk chair at one of the hotel rooms we stayed in during the Headfi meet last summer. Almost fell asleep in it about 5 seconds after my butt hit the seat. They are amazingly comfortable.

Me too! For all the hours I spend at my desk/workbench/dining room table/,.. well you get the idea.
I swear, it's one of those "quality of life" issues that even a state run nursing home would attend to but I gotta have this toy or that one first!
At least I think I've gotten all the wire strands out of the seat so they don't worm their way through my jeans and into my skin!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Bruce B

• View Profile
    • Puget Sound Studios
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 09:35:15 PM »
2 large monitors right in front in the listening area between the speakers...    nice one!
Puget Sound Studios
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:50:20 PM »

Me too! For all the hours I spend at my desk/workbench/dining room table/,.. well you get the idea.
I swear, it's one of those "quality of life" issues that even a state run nursing home would attend to but I gotta have this toy or that one first!
At least I think I've gotten all the wire strands out of the seat so they don't worm their way through my jeans and into my skin!

So, THAT is where the forum nickname comes from! :)
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:13:58 AM »
Doc B/Steve:

I believe in using the office chair for music purpose.  As a fickle audio fan, I try many speaker types and the nice music chairs are limited (or none) in height adjustments.  Areon chairs are comforatble and have the flexibility to let me dial in my ear height to the vertical sweet spot.

Bruce B:

I've got to make my pilgrimage to your studio!  Did you click on the image and pan around with the mouse?  If you haven't, try to move in and out to see more gear in the background.  Judging from the faint outlines of their monitor speakers, they are the old B&W 801 Series IIIs.  And best of all, look up at the ceiling also.  It has a strange sound treament - bordering on the "love hotel" decorations in Japan (as if I have ever been in one...;-) if they only add a big mirror.   
Ki Choi

Offline Bruce B

• View Profile
    • Puget Sound Studios
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:25:15 PM »
Does look like it has a great vibe! I wouldn't use it as a mastering studio until I made some changes. You don't usually see 16-24 track machines in a mastering room

Anytime Ki..  my door is always open! Make sure you bring some good tunes!

Regards,
Puget Sound Studios
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
AMPEX Heaven
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 12:08:03 AM »
Well, that's just about enough Studer drooling around here!

For a restoration/archiving/transfer studio and reel to reel showplace, you can't do a whole lot better than Steve Puntolillio's A2DX Lab.
Anyone who hangs out on the Ampex list will be familiar with him and his unwavering support of the breed. This link is one of those that not a whole lotta folks look at in the Reel to Reel Links sticky above the General forum but there's a ton of great Ampex info here. Many of the restoration crowd consider him to be the authority when it comes to molded tape restoration (maybe a good one for "Worlds Dirtiest Jobs").

http://www.sonicraft.com/A2DX/a2dx_about.html

BTW; Be sure and check out the tech notes.

steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Teeg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 07:34:49 AM »
  Steve's shop is literally a twenty-minute drive from my home; I've thought about asking if a visit would be possible. Of particular interest is his tape path mods applied to the 440c machines.....might be worth investigating as a mod for my 440B deck.

Check out the MR-70.........Whoa!

Tj

T.j. Bassi  
    Martin Logan reQuests....Martin Logan Descent x 2....Atma-Sphere MA1 OTL amplification....Krell KPS25s digital front end....VPI Scoutmaster....Studer A80 VU MKII....Ampex 300-2 Tube/SS Playback "Ampexius Maximus"....Ampex MR-70

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 09:41:10 AM »
I've been safe and fortunate to know little about the Ampex machines to trigger my obsession for them...until now.
I can blame Steve for the potential down fall - if I have to explain it to my wife (or have to locate a new living place after getting kicked out of the house).
Ki Choi

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »
Well,we're not quite the UK's answer to Sonicraft yet let alone Sony but we're making a start...

LOL
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:24:40 AM by Brian C. »
Brian Clark, One Inch Studio, London, UK.

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 12:03:02 PM »
Hi Brian C:

How many loads of washing can you do in an hour with that thing?  ...;-)

I have an understanding wife (until now) but ....
Ki Choi