TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Revox 621 Mastering Tape  (Read 13380 times)

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
Revox 621 Mastering Tape
« on: October 18, 2009, 11:34:51 PM »
Does anyone here know anything about this type tape???

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Revox 621 Mastering Tape
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:43:02 AM »
As far as I know, Revox didn't produce any tape of their own and if someone knows different, please chime in here.
I would have thought that Revox rebranded tape would be BASF/Agfa/IGF but since the # is 621, and Ampex did make a 1 mil tape in the late 60's-70's that was 621, maybe it was just for North American Revox dealers (which was common practice for consumer machines dealers to carry machine branded tape to go with new machine purchases).
Is the tape dated and does it have a backing thickness printed on the box? Also, hold it up to the light,.. is it acetate?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:11:09 AM »
As far as I know, Revox didn't produce any tape of their own and if someone knows different, please chime in here.
I would have thought that Revox rebranded tape would be BASF/Agfa/IGF but since the # is 621, and Ampex did make a 1 mil tape in the late 60's-70's that was 621, maybe it was just for North American Revox dealers (which was common practice for consumer machines dealers to carry machine branded tape to go with new machine purchases).
Is the tape dated and does it have a backing thickness printed on the box? Also, hold it up to the light,.. is it acetate?
Hi Steve,
I don't know it is still sealed!!! I have had it for awhile trying to decide on keeping or selling it!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 11:51:12 AM »
Hi Jay,

As far as a blank tape goes, I doubt that there's any special qualities that it has.
But, it may have some value to collectors of all things Revox.
If I were you, I'd put it on eBay with a reserve to make it worth the trouble and see if anyone out there wants it. You just never know.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:39:51 PM »
Hi Jay,

As far as a blank tape goes, I doubt that there's any special qualities that it has.
But, it may have some value to collectors of all things Revox.
If I were you, I'd put it on eBay with a reserve to make it worth the trouble and see if anyone out there wants it. You just never know.
Well Steve,
I know there at least two guys out there that want them, one just sold on ebay for $109.

Jay

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:18:57 PM »
Well Steve,
I know there at least two guys out there that want them, one just sold on ebay for $109.

Jay
[/quote]

Go man, go!
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline darklab

• View Profile
    • darklab
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »
?
The Revox 621 tape was originally made by 3M / Scotch. I don?t know what type it was, but it is similar to the Scotch 207.

Later, Revox distributed the Scotch Classic tape as Revox 631, this was a disaster ? after a short time the tapes suffered on the sticky shed syndrome so Revox changed them. Than Revox switched to the Ampex 457 tape. This material lasted longer, but most of the Ampex tapes ?Revox named them  641- became sticky after some years.   

Frank

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 05:41:33 AM »
?
The Revox 621 tape was originally made by 3M / Scotch. I don?t know what type it was, but it is similar to the Scotch 207.

Later, Revox distributed the Scotch Classic tape as Revox 631, this was a disaster ? after a short time the tapes suffered on the sticky shed syndrome so Revox changed them. Than Revox switched to the Ampex 457 tape. This material lasted longer, but most of the Ampex tapes ?Revox named them  641- became sticky after some years.   

Frank
Hi Frank,
Thanks alot for the info on the tape!!!

Jay