Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: I think the Tape Project word is getting around  (Read 6044 times)

Offline rjones5296

• View Profile
I think the Tape Project word is getting around
« on: August 01, 2008, 08:29:37 AM »
Guys
During a casual conversation with Jack at JM Tech, I had called about info and spares for my PR99 that I just got, and to ask a couple questions about my G36 recorders.
Im telling Jack that I get quite a few offers to buy my G36, I just refer them to JM Tech.
He mentioned he has had calls looking for 15ips 1/2 track decks for Tape Project tapes.
So It looks like the word is getting around.
I had recently bought a G36 junker, that just happened to be a 1/2 track 15 ips machine, luckily the heads show almost no wear and the 15ips capstan shaft shows no wear.
I am converting one of my G36's to half track 15ips.

bob
Bob Jones
Thorens TD124,SME3009.Denon 103,Music Reference RM5,Perreaux 1150b,Leak Stereo 50,Accuphase T100,Revox B126,RevoxG36,RevoxA77,Technics RS1700,RevoxB710,Revox PR99,Revox B780,Revox B226

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
Re: I think the Tape Project word is getting around- G-36
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:59:58 PM »
Hi Bob
I'm using a 2 track 15 ips ReVox G-36 that Jack Clark did over a few years ago. I've had quite a few of them over the last 20 years and found them to do a much better job of recording than playing back. Charlie King(stellavox) wrote the article on them in Glass Audio about 15-20 years ago- "The Greening of the G-36". Jack has incorporated at least a few of Charlie's mods since the article came out. My friend Kara of DeHaviland Electric also has done some work on her G-36 and made some improvements to the circuit. DeParavicini also has done many rebuilds of the G-36. I think his is more of a total new circuit, rather than a mod to the original.

Jack mentioned to me about 8 years ago that high speed capstan shafts and 2 track heads were getting to be very hard to find. I suspect that today they would be near impossible to source, especially the capstan shafts.

They are very nicely made Swiss machines.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline rjones5296

• View Profile
Re: I think the Tape Project word is getting around
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 09:29:06 AM »
Rich
Thanks for the shout back, you know I noticed, I played a tape back on the Technics RS1700 that was recorded on the G36, I thought when I played it back that the resopnse went on forever, that told me that the G36 is one hell of a recorder, now I know what I was hearing, was not my imiganation.
Playback on the G36 is very nice, but that tape really shows off the Technics deck.
The article "Greening of the Revox G36" planted the seed that I one of these days had to have a G36.
I have kept mine as original, Jack told me the same thing about the capstan shaft, there are no more.
WOW Charlie King is a member of the forum.
I have a third G36, that needs a little work, the back panel was modded by someone, adding new jacks.
My plan is to change it back to the original configuration and make it a hs 1/2 track, I have all the parts, I'm just looking for a US spec back panel (without the voltage selector) thanks for the note, Im off to the local surplus to pick up the XLR & DIN connectors for my PR99.

bob

Bob Jones
Thorens TD124,SME3009.Denon 103,Music Reference RM5,Perreaux 1150b,Leak Stereo 50,Accuphase T100,Revox B126,RevoxG36,RevoxA77,Technics RS1700,RevoxB710,Revox PR99,Revox B780,Revox B226