TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: RS-15xx alternative hubs  (Read 18283 times)

ceved

Re: RS-15xx alternative hubs
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 05:31:43 AM »
OK misinformation leader. I'll bite.
How does a hub make it less fumbly to thread a tape with or without watchers?
No vaudevillian replies either.
Yeah, I know you too!

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 09:05:48 AM »
Steve-

Micheal is as easy going as it gets. He has been at my place before, so I was more concerned about NOT playing the same stuff he heard last time around. I only had 001 and 002 the day he was there, and as good as they are, they are not the sonic blockbusters that 003 and 005 are (they arrived the week after he was here). There is a bit of trepidation having a gen-you-wine reviewer sitting in the sweet spot waiting to be transported away. I got home a couple of hours before he was due, fired up all the tubes, the decks, the air compressor for the turntable and ran a few vinyl discs to limber up the cart, and then cleaned out the empty microbrew bottles from the previous night's listening session with a buddy.

UPS says two more boxes due on my doorstep tomorrow. sure would be sweet if it were 006 and 007
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 06:27:12 PM »
OK misinformation leader. I'll bite.
How does a hub make it less fumbly to thread a tape with or without watchers?
No vaudevillian replies either.
Yeah, I know you too!
Hi CV, when I thread tape through the machine, I always pull more slack than I really need. So when I thread it on the empty reel (10.5") I can't really see the end. I put my finger on the tape and pull in the slack (so I don't have a loose end poking out of a windage hole making a "dak-dak-dak" sound with every revolution of the reel). Without the editing flanges, you have to turn the full reel by it's edge which isn't as precise as rotating the flange. To make things just that much harder, the tensioners on my Technics (and most machines) will want to pull the tape out from under my finger too. Once my finger is over the end of the tape, it's time to begin to turn the empty reel to secure the tape end under a wrap or two of tape. I begin turning it with the same hand whose finger is holding the tape and just before the first wrap goes over the end, I put a finger from my other hand over the tape in the top windage hole and release the tape with my other finger.
I know it sounds kind complicated but it really becomes second nature in no time. The main thing is that the flanges make turning the reels more than a quarter turn (which using the reel edges kinda limits you to) a single smooth motion. If you pull the tape out from under your finger, the tensioners pull up even more slack and you might as well just about start from scratch because you've now entered " Ten Thumbs Land".
I hope that wasn't as confusing as it seemed when I wrote it.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

ceved

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 07:59:28 PM »
Steve, Thanks for the detailed description; I cannot wait for the video on you tube.  Sounds as though I will have to enroll in the Fall session for remedial coordination at the community collage.
I saw the hubs on line, cut the malarkey, you went for the looks; admit it.
Since I sense you have an streak of interior desecrater in you, which color would go best with the standard issue 102?
I was thinking a swirly version myself.
Remember that mystery show on TV in the late 50's/early 60's with the opening that looked like someone stirring  marble cake batter without a spoon?
Was that CheckMate?  I think it was!
That's the kind of reel that would really get you going in a big way!
Symphony Fantastique touche'!