TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: RS-15xx alternative hubs  (Read 18243 times)

Offline AZ_Gary

• View Profile
RS-15xx alternative hubs
« on: April 29, 2007, 03:15:18 PM »
Doc,

I read in your Stereophile show posting today that your RS-1500s use a Studer-type hub from "Darklab". Given my hatred for the stock RS-1506 hubs, I'm very interested. I did a Google on Darklab and found Darklab Magnetics in Germany, but the link yielded the dreaded Error 404. Can you provide any help here?

Thanks,
Gary
Gary Marklund
Sun City, AZ - USA

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: RS-15xx alternative hubs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:09:56 PM »
Try this and look under NAB adapter. They not cheap with the flanges, but they are very nice quality.

http://www.darklab-magnetics.de/darklab_webshop/index.htm
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline AZ_Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:53:50 AM »
Thanks, Doc.

Gary
Gary Marklund
Sun City, AZ - USA

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »
To resurrect an old thread, I just bought a pair of the darklab adapters from a fellow over on Ebay. They're the same darklabs NAB adapters(complete) but they're much cheaper. My currency converter told me that buying directly from darklabs would be over $205 for the pair plus shipping. The guy on Ebay (always has them under a search for Studer) sold me my pair for $164 including shipping. He didn't have the color combo I wanted on hand (red outside/silver inside) but was able to get them in 24 hours (probably directly from darklabs). He's in Italy and like I said, he always has an ad and just send him a message and he can get you any of them. Just be sure and ask for them complete rather than just the flanges like his ads often show.
They are just beautiful! These will get me laid for sure!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:46:40 PM »
I have bought them from the guy in Italy as well, two pair of the red and silver full adapters and one set of anthracite "hubcaps". His stock seems to fluctuate quite a bit. This problem should be resolved shortly, as Jeff Jacobs tells me he will be the US distributor for the Darklabs hub adapters very soon. I got the impression he is buying a very large quantity.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline darklab

• View Profile
    • darklab
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 09:25:51 AM »
?
Hi folks,

yes, Jeff Jacobs sells my products in the US and Canada. You?ll reach him at
[email protected]

The guy from Bologna, Cesare Marchesini, do the same job over there in Italy.

Regardless of currency exchange rates a purchase directly from the distributor in the US makes you sure that there are no high shipping costs or custom fees added to the price. Due to the appointment to Jeff Jacobs darklab will no longer ship to the USA.  Please remember that the prices given in the darklab web shop contain 19% German VAT / sales tax. If merchandise is shipped to destination outside the European Union in a parcel with export declaration the 19% tax are left off. 

Nice to read that darklab products are well known so far from Germany.

Frank

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 10:08:19 AM »
Hi Frank, I have a pair of your hubs and would like to say I'm very happy with them. At a recent Tape Project demo I did, an amplifier manufacturer (SinglePower from Denver) who builds his own chassis  was admiring the machine work on them. Thanks for an excellent product.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline darklab

• View Profile
    • darklab
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 02:22:35 AM »
?
Hi Ironbut,

it makes me proud every time I hear people are satisfied with darklab products.

A couple of years ago when I thought I was the only one who use old fashioned stuff like a tape recorder I bought some tapes in eBay. Some was good, some was ?sorry for a harsh word- sh?!

I tried to make it better, started with tapes from closed studio archives, people asked for reels, than for NAB adaptors. The adaptors are no longer made, so I started manufacturing again, added the aluminum tops in some colors. Later came more and tape related items So darklab grew from a fun project to a brand. And as long there is demand for unavailable products I'll try to make them available again. 

Probably for the industry the market for tape accessories is no longer interesting since the total sales decreased since the 80s, but if one produces more like a craftsman it's  still ok. And by the way, I'm not only a seller, but also en enthusiast of analog recording. And to record means not to copy a LP or CD to tape, no I go to where the music is and record on stage or rehearsal rooms. I own some Studer and Revox, for mobile recordings or locations with little space for equipment four Nagra, a 8- track Otari, and some Telefunken. The Telefunkens are probably not well known in the US, but in Germany still quiet popular because the German Radio and many recording studios had thousands of them. It's a great machine, both in sound and dimensions.     

Frank

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 11:06:48 AM »
Frank, there's one member here (although I haven't seen a post from Danny in quite a while) who has a Telefunken M15A and is very happy with it. I hardly ever see them on the used market here but I'm sure that a search of the DE eBay would uncover a few. Do you know of any online sites that would have info regarding model/features for them?
The internet is a wonderful thing for niche product producers and those who buy such products. As one of the latter, I seldom have to settle for poorly made items when just a bit more searching will yield an item that displays carefully designed and executed workmanship. That brings me to one of my favorite sayings, " value only exists if you get what you want".
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »
I just placed and order for a pair of the gorgeous red NAB adapters that Darklab produces, from Jeff at J-Corder. I also got my RS1500 from Jeff. He is a great guy to do business with.

Frank- Thanks for making these available in US through Jeff!!
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline Studer Fool

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 12:35:54 PM »
Does Jeff have a web site?

cdw
Christopher D. Wait
Charter Subscriber SN# 026
Studer A80-VU & Studer A80-RC (and Doc's lovingly modified Ampex 934 with Seduction Tape Head Preamp Combo!)

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 01:13:24 PM »
cdw-

You can take a look at http://www.j-corder.com The link for the online store will take you to the hubs...

Joe
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 07:52:02 PM »
My DarkLab hubs in gorgeous red arrived today from Jeff Jacobs at J-Corder. The really kick the appearance of the RS1500 up a couple of notches. I chose red to accent the red logo on TP reels. If you are on the fence about purchasing these, they are well worth the investment. Yes, they are pricey, but their functionality, looks and fit 'n finish are winners.

couple the above with fast response from Jeff and amazing shipping from Washington to the East coast in three days, it's a no brainer.
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 08:06:13 PM »
I'm really spoiled by them now. There's nothing worse than fumbling around threading a tape when there's a line of folks waiting to hear it. All the "best" machines will be wearing them this season.
BTW Joe, even though Mike wrote and posted his article on the visit to your pad, I'd love to hear how you felt about having a reviewer in your listening room. Did you clean the dust bunnies from under you equipment rack?
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline AZ_Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 12:17:23 AM »
Can someone provide more information about these hubs? How are they functionally different from standard hubs? Do they work on any R2R? Will they work on an Otari?
Gary Marklund
Sun City, AZ - USA