TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: TV warning  (Read 4188 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
TV warning
« on: October 04, 2009, 12:58:17 PM »
Just something I noticed today.

I have one of those little meters from R.B. Annis (magnetometer). I picked it up in eBay for a couple of bucks and is used to check my tape path for residual magnetism and let me know when I need to de-mag it (I just kinda trust it since it isn't the last word in precision).
I recently purchased an LCD tv and have it wall mounted.
Just out of curiosity, I used the magnetometer to measure my new television. It was about the same as my old crt type tv but I did find something that may be a problem for some of us.
Because of all the space that the wall mount freed up, I immediately used that space to display some of my tape collection (Wagner's Ring Cycle). And since I pull the LCD about a foot away from the wall the LCD hangs just above those tapes.
When I ran the magnetometer along the bottom of my tv, I found the highest readings just above those tapes (probably either transformers or deflection coils). I'm not sure if it's damaged those tapes at all yet but because of the popularity of these articulating wall mounts, I thought I'd pass my findings along.
In other words, don't store your tapes immediately above or below a tv. Like I said, I haven't had a chance to check those tapes for damage, but it doesn't pay to tempt fate.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
Re: TV warning
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 06:25:06 PM »
What I want to is when flipping a 7' reel over is to place the tape
on the top of the R2R. Not a good idea since it looks a power
transformer just rests under there.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player