TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Newport Festivals Downloads  (Read 3222 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Newport Festivals Downloads
« on: November 13, 2009, 10:37:42 PM »
Wolfgang's Vault which evolved from the poster collections, rock memorabilia, and live concert recording Bill Graham Presents (BGP) acquired a collection of reel to reel tapes made at the Newport Jazz and Folk Festivals. Some of the earlier recordings have been transfered and are beginning to become available as digital downloads.
Here's the New York Times article announcing the first 3 offerings from a proposed 27 releases from the 1959 Jazz Festival.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/arts/music/11vault.html?_r=1&sudsredirect=true

I find it particularly interesting that the source of the 3 track tapes is as yet unknown.
I can't say how glad I am to hear of all these original recording that seem to be popping up lately (see my postings regarding the "Jazz Loft" recordings that are being archived at Duke University).

Here's a link to Wolfgang's Vault,.. I haven't had time to listen yet so I don't know what the quality is.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/

Hmm, I wonder if they're looking for interns?

Day Two,..

So far I've listened to the free streaming MP3 of the Count Basie. The sound is good for MP3 with lots of depth and aside from some on stage mic problems (I'm guessing) the mix is excellent. BTW, you just need to register with the site and hit the play button and a pop up player opens.
You can also download 16/44 flac files if you want but you have to pay for that.

I love live recordings of this sort and there is just so much going on between the musicians and interaction with the crowd that I feel like the energy of being right there on the stage doesn't take that last ounce of fidelity to totally such you into the moment. There is so much charm and fun on the Basie, I feel like it's a must listen,.. the price is certainly right!

If you're into downloading music and you haven't visited WV to listen to one of your fav rocker in concert,.. shame on you!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 12:13:19 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Newport Festivals Downloads
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »
Speaking of the Jazz Loft Project, here's a bit that was on MSNBC about it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/33909201#33909201

There is another thread with Jazz Loft in the subject line from a while back if you're interested in more.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades