Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Tape Project review in Positive Feedback  (Read 6015 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Tape Project review in Positive Feedback
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:50:05 PM »
Thank you, Myles Astor, for a very "hi-res analog" review!

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue46/tape_project.htm
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:51:40 PM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Tape Project review in Positive Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:39:15 PM »
Whew! That was a long time coming (for a formal review that is,.. not for Myles).
Well worth the wait though. Myles has always been one of my favorite audio reads and he certainly doesn't disappoint here.
I particularly enjoyed the info he gleaned from Paul and his inclusion of some of the "tweaking" details. Add to that, the background info on the original recordings,.. what more could you ask for (C37? maybe).

Time to keep an eye on those traffic stat's!

Thanks Myles!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline 30ips

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 12:52:37 PM »
Tell JBL-basher Myles that probably half the albums he owns were mastered on JBL monitors.

Andy Pennella

I listen with the finest yard sale and Craigslist equipment. Twin SONY APR's, Crown 822, and an Otari MTR12 - total $900...what a country!

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:05:24 PM »
30ips, please check the forum rules. We require participants to sign their real names to their posts.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 05:59:44 AM »
Tell JBL-basher Myles that probably half the albums he owns were mastered on JBL monitors.

Thanks for reading the piece.

OTOH, that's a pretty bold statement given that you've never been to my home or know my record collection (which now numbers around 8000 or more LPs). Now rock albums most certainly used JBL studio monitors, but rock constitutes only a small pct of my collection. And I'm very sorry if you think that JBL speakers that are sold in the US are high quality (that doesn't go for some JBLs that are made in Japan but not imported here. Heard one in particular years ago with the WAVAC amp that sounded very nice.)

BTW, if JBLs are so great, then why have many of the BEST studios now gone to better speakers-at least B&Ws if not other brands?

Just a a small sampling of the labels in my collection---please tell me which of these companies used JBLs in the recording process:

RCA
Mercury
Decca
EMI
Harmonia Mundi
Lyrita
Prestige
Blue Note
Contemporary
Riverside
Pablo
Analogue Productions
Nonesuch
Music Matters Jazz
Sheffield Labs
Reference Recordings
Argo

Thanks!

Myles Astor

Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline 30ips

• View Profile
Tape Project review in Positive Feedback
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
Thanks Myles for your reply. We both evidently have our own opinions. Time has moved on, and most of the newer high-end studios (admittedly recording rock/pop/jazz) will have an install of some sort of TAD/Auspberger custom system, but the JBL DNA is still there. All I ask is that you take it easy on one of the truly innovatve and iconic brands in sound reproduction.

Andy Pennella (sorry Doc)
30ips
Andy Pennella

I listen with the finest yard sale and Craigslist equipment. Twin SONY APR's, Crown 822, and an Otari MTR12 - total $900...what a country!