Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: what do you think of using a C20 for tape head playback?  (Read 5361 times)

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
what do you think of using a C20 for tape head playback?
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »
in the process of restoring one and was wondering how the tape head playback might be on this preamp, thinking of playing my 1500 thru it, waddaya think?
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: what do you think of using a C20 for tape head playback?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »
...as in the tape head input of a McIntosh C20 preamplifier?
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 06:37:47 PM »
exactly!
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:50:02 PM »
I tried finding the specs for this on line but was unsuccessful. I do have a friend who has one and might have the manual. They probably tried to adhere pretty closely to NAB 7 1/2 eq I would imagine. I noted the low / high as on the phono section. Presumably two different  sensitivities and or perhaps impedances. Who knows how it would work with more modern tape heads. It is the same preamp section as the phono stage, but with other component values for the eq. instead of the RIAA spec. If it is a fairly quiet phono stage it might be O.K. as a tape head preamp. Not the correct eq for TP tapes though. I have not looked at one for a while. Does it indicate the NAB spec on the switchable eq for record compensation? I remember it has switches for the various pre-RIAA curves.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 12:53:13 PM »
Thanks, Steve, I'll check that.  I would think that the tape preamps that Doc B has are better, but I am in the process of fixing/upgrading this preamp and noticed the tape head in.  Since the C20 is considered by many to be one of the top preamps, I was curious as to the suitability of using the tape head in for my 1500.  It will be awaile before I can afford the doc's preamps, work is so slow, and no one is paying, arrgh!