Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: NAGRA T AUDIO REFERENCE REEL TO REEL TAPE RECORDER  (Read 8052 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
NAGRA T AUDIO REFERENCE REEL TO REEL TAPE RECORDER
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:16:38 AM »
Good morning all,

For anyone interested, I found a Nagra T. tape deck that looks awesome. Check out www.highendpalace.com for other outstanding audio equipment.

I had no idea Nagra made a studio type reel to reel tape deck. I am familiar with their portable smaller recorders. This machine reminds me slightly of my Sony APR-5000 series reel to reel except I believe the Nagra is a better recorder. Check it out before it's gone.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Re: NAGRA T AUDIO REFERENCE REEL TO REEL TAPE RECORDER
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 02:56:14 PM »
Hi Bob:

Nice find.

Please don't discount the Sony APR-5000 R2R machines.  After spending some time with the Sony and figuring out a way to reduce its only detraction - the loud fan noise during operation - it's a contender.  How's your Sony APR working?

The Nagra T Audio is a beauty and a fine performing machine but at their $6500 OBO price...  It's getting close to the price range of a nice Studer A820.
Ki Choi

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:15:09 PM »
Good evening Ki,

It's always great to hear from you. I admire you knowledge of tape decks and all things related. My Sony is in storage in anticipation of my moving to North Carolina whenever that happens. My house is still on the market in this tough market. However, I believe it won't be long before it sells and I can move on.

I was browsing audio resources and ran across the Nagra. It is certainly not my intention to purchase any more tape decks since I have the Sony, Otari MTR-15, Technics 1506 and the Teac 32-2B.

Presently, I am working on the front end of my audio system. I have completed a DIY belt driven turntable using the platter and bearing of my old Elite Rock turntable. I am having some difficulty with the motor speed. All else is going well.

Bob Williams
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:12:18 PM »
Hi Bob:

Where in NC are you heading to?  I grew up in NC and went to school there.
Hope you can sell your current house soon and get on with your plans.

As soon as you get the Sony out of the storage and positioned in your new place, let me know.  I can talk to you about the things I have done to Sony APR to improve its useability.

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »
I have completed a DIY belt driven turntable using the platter and bearing of my old Elite Rock turntable. I am having some difficulty with the motor speed. All else is going well.

Bob Williams

Hey Bob,

If the motor speed is a little fast, you can always try an old Garrard work around. If you cut up an extension cord and splice in an light bulb socket, you can make small adjustments by changing out different wattage light bulbs. Then, if it works for you, just make a lamp for over your turntable out of it.
If it's a little slow, try wrapping the small pulley with something handy.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades