TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Otari 5050 ll most amazing  (Read 9851 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Otari 5050 ll most amazing
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:00:12 AM »
I think I've mentioned that I am in the process of selling my house and moving to Orlando FL. So, I've got about all of my stuff in storage. However, I have been playing some of my 7inch  2 and 4 track tapes I recently purchased of of Ebay. Most of these tapes are in excellent shape. All has gone well until recently. I decided to try one of the 10.5 Ampex tapes I recorded 8 or 9 years ago. I tried to play it using the NAB hubs that came with the Otari. I noticed that the 10inch reels will not work at all unless the Otari is either in the horizontal position or on an angle. The NAB hubs does not retain the large reels with with the Otari standing staight up. What gives here? I am using the locking NAB hubs that are standard with this machine. Are there other NAB hubs that will permit the Otari to play the large reels standing straight up?

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
Re: Otari 5050 ll most amazing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 01:48:27 PM »
OK my friends, it just so happens that the NAB hubs sent to me for the Otari 5050 were not working correctly. The gentleman who sold me the machine send another pair which work great. All is well now and I can play my large reels of tape.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 07:36:43 PM »
Yeah, it's weird but I have 4 different pairs of NAB hubs and only a couple of them work on my Technics. I'm planning on getting the Darklabs Revox editing flanges that attach to the standard Revox NAB's. I checked with Doc to double check that they'd work. Of course, for the price that they charge, I would have made them work.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 01:13:14 AM »
Hey Ironbut, do you have a lead on Darklabs?  It looks like they also make/sell the Revox NAB adaptors, which I'd luv to get, but I can never find the contact information for Darklabs...

Sorry to hijack the thread Bob, I just saw the Darklabs and decided to ask....
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline Dan Robertson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 07:37:18 AM »
heideana - I just saw this ad on Audiogon. Might be the Revox hubs you're looking for.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?misccass&1193965574

Good luck!

Dan

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 09:49:25 AM »
Yeah, that's the guy. He has some for sale on Ebay. They are BIN for a hair less but if your looking to save some $$$ he also has some seconds that ( for the flanges only ) are only $70 a pair. The rest of the NAB hub is usually around $35 so that's a pretty good savings.
http://cgi.ebay.com/revox-studer-teac-tascam-nab-adaptators-new_W0QQitemZ110185922024QQihZ001QQcategoryZ67812QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 06:56:29 PM »
Thanks guys!  Do you know if he just sells the plastic revox NAB adaptors without the fancy aluminum part?

Hop

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 10:17:19 PM »
I know he used to. You can only ask but since he's selling the whole thing on another auction, I bet he has them. If I wasn't saving for the Flux Magnetics heads, I'd go for a red pair now. I'm sure he gets seconds every now and then so I'll just ask when I'm ready.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 04:01:27 PM »
Steve,

I am happy that you mentioned the problems you had with several pairs of NAB HUBS. As a matter of fact, I've discovered that the pair I have for my Otari 5050 appears not to seat properly while retaining my large reels. I've tried everything and everyway I know how to get proper seating without success. I am now in the process of looking for another pair of HUBS. I hope I don't have to go though as many pairs as you did my friend. Thanks again for your input.

Bob W.

Offline AZ_Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 09:30:37 AM »
Gary Marklund
Sun City, AZ - USA

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 04:57:42 PM »
Thanks Gary!!!