Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: "beautiful music"  (Read 10788 times)

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
"beautiful music"
« on: November 12, 2009, 01:35:04 PM »
60s era give or take. Not rock, not jazz, not classical. Variously called "pop", "easy listening", "MOR" (middle of the road), "beautiful music", "elevator music" (by it's detractors) and lounge (when re-discovered by post boomers).
 It was a staple of the major labels who each had their own somewhat "in house" orchestra leaders/arrangers, studio musicians etc. There was a ton of this music on radio back when. There was a ton released on commercial pre-recorded  reel to reel tape. (I have a ton of it on reel to reel!)
 I, as a baby boomer, have mixed feelings and a love/hate relationship with all this, having been overly exposed to this sort of thing from my youth via the AM radio on all day as background music in our house.
 It can be as exciting as Sinatra with Nelson Riddle in the Capitol era or as mundane as Ray Conniff, Lawrece Welk, the Tijuana Brass and the ubiquitous infamous 101 Strings. The thing is, the record labels threw their energy into this stuff and promoted it to average adults in this era and at least some of it is very well arraigned, performed and recorded.
 Rock was largely dismissed by comparison, as unimportant and was often poorly recorded until the late 60s, How many teenagers bought reel to reel anyway. (All of us, I know, but we were the exception!)
So, does anyone have any favorites in this genre? Any possibilities that would make the grade as a Tape Project release?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:42:10 PM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Satch

• View Profile
Re: "beautiful music"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 01:46:50 AM »
There's a venue of music I've been getting into; Space Age Pop. I was born in '57 and grew up around the whole Space Race here in Cocoa Beach. Late 50's early 60's Lounge Music, Tiki Bar Music. Les Baxter, Martin Denny, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 (love "Mais Que Nada" "One Note Samba" "O Pato" etc.) The Brasilian Bossa Nova, Mancini (Spy Jazz) Herb Alpert, the whole "Exotica" concept. Peggy Lee "Black Coffee" Rat Pack, Tito Puente, Cal Tjader. The Pre-Castro Cuban music scene... Astronauts tearin' a$$ around Cocoa Beach in their new Vettes. I Dream of Jeanie (filmed in L.A.).

Ray Satcher

Offline 30ips

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 07:30:30 PM »
Certainly the QUIET VILLAGE first album by Martin Denny - a sonic spectacular if you have ever heard it on a good system. Or any of the old Command ping-pong stereo "Percussion" albums - what a hoot one of them would be.

C'mon Doc.

Andy Pennella
Andy Pennella

I listen with the finest yard sale and Craigslist equipment. Twin SONY APR's, Crown 822, and an Otari MTR12 - total $900...what a country!

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:12:07 PM »
You guys should have gone to George Wright's estate sale I guess. There were reels and reels of tapes that he inherited when he was a tech for Muzak...
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 01:03:25 AM »
Hmm, I have some reels by the pipe organ George Wright...
Steve Williams

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 06:13:57 AM »
Steve/Ray/Andy,

A few mutually-exclusive quagmires are at play here - namely taste, sound, availability and saleability. 

There is some wonderful early stereo popular and classical music on Capitol, but agreeing on titles AND prying them out of current management is probably impossible - unless Paul has a friend there who hasn't been laid off yet.

I've "rediscovered" the likes of Mel Torme (Verve, Concord)and Sammy Davis Jr (Warner, Rino) - all very well recorded with amazing arrangement and backup, but then there's the saleability issue.

Charles

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 03:59:47 AM »
I've heard the classification - "international" music" for the likes of Martin Denny, etc. As in "International House of Pancakes." :-)  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline Satch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 11:12:37 AM »
Charles,

I was just having a little musical memory flashback. Compilation albums like Capitol Records "Ultra-Lounge" volumes, "The Best Of Martin Denny's Exotica". Kind of background music for happy hour cocktails at the Tiki Bar. I wasn't thinking of the difficulty factor of actually securing the rights and making Tape Project tapes. I would imagine the cost alone... yikes!

"mutually-exclusive quagmire" I'm kinda new here, but that expression alone is well worth the price of admission! That is my taste in music. Everything from Hendrix to Hawkins to Hank Williams.

Ray

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 11:12:57 AM »
I've heard the classification - "international" music" for the likes of Martin Denny, etc. As in "International House of Pancakes." :-)  Larry

Just discovered this reply.
Well said Larry! :-)

And "Satch", that is my issue also. Almost no discrimination in musical taste. One could hardly accuse my collection of being "narrow and focused" !
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:15:25 AM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

Offline blaupunk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 07:16:06 PM »
And then there is was and always will be Julie London.
Rampart indeed.

I ran across a Japanese CD site where there must have been at least 20 reissues of Ms. London's albums on remastered release this June!
FYI did you know that there are now 5 CD formats in Japan duking it out?
I know we spit on CDs, but really isn't it interesting that market forces provide access to predominately western world musical artists in higher fidelity versions that are able to be purchased in the country of artist origin?
Sorry I forgot to post a tangent alert.
Charles Vonderheid

Offline blaupunk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 08:12:15 PM »
I agree, this music does not get much if any respect, but what I enjoy most about it is the naturalness of the vocals and instruments.
The lack of processing and over production allows the music to just be itself.

As an aside I have heard that Montovani recordings are in high demand in Europe especially Germany.  And while you can always tell a German but you can't tell them much having heard some of the earlier Montovani discs in particular they are on to something.

(Now before you go nuts, check out my last name. I know what I am talking about.)

I am partial to band/dance music recorded on London Records as a premier example of what you are talking about.
RCA and Mercury also had more than their share of this genre of music some of which are considered by many to be worthy audiophile fare for sonics, and content.
I would be interested in a TP selection of this type for certain.

Where is Ben, this is a thread that should be near and dear to his heart.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:13:51 PM by blaupunk »
Charles Vonderheid

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 12:31:49 AM »
"Where is Ben, this is a thread that should be near and dear to his heart."

Yes, where _IS_ Ben anyway? Have not seen him post for a long while. He was the inspiration for this thread. I still have about 3 Tommy Garrett guitar albums on 4 track R2R that I have not listened to yet. I think about him when I see them in the box.
Steve Williams

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 01:31:29 AM »
I see Ben's posts on the "Tubes DIY" forum over on Audio Asylum from time to time. It's been over a year since he posted here.
I too miss his "monkey business".
I'm sure his audio focus has moved back toward building amps but I'm sure one of these days, he'll pay us a visit.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I PM'ed  Ben and he responded and you are correct Steve.
I guess I will need to play one of those Tommy Garrett tapes today.
There are quite a few people that don't seem to participate as much as in the past, including me at times.

Speaking of "beautiful music", I just listened to RCAs efforts to turn the Sons of the Pioneers into beautiful music in a 1959 re-record of their hits in "Living _STEREO_" vinyl. Stunning sonics, if you can stomach the orchestral arraignments and the echo of "water" in "Cool Water" pingponging from right to left to center. Might be a 2 track "sleeper".
Steve Williams