TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Brilliant Corners is a gem!  (Read 29366 times)

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
Brilliant Corners is a gem!
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:50:21 PM »
JoeG wrote; "Brilliant Corners" is indeed brilliant!! Mine arrived about 1 hour ago, and it's spinning as I write this. Dead true to the LP, with so much more body and weight, especially in the drums. Another home run guys! Right away, I can tell this one is going to spend a lot of time mounted on the deck."

as JoeG said on the 'ready to launch' thread; 'Brilliant Corners' is Brilliant.....and i agree with the rest of his comments too.

i'll add that in comparing TP-013 to the AP-45rpm Lp reissue (which i've always enjoyed) the tape is more vivid and immediate. i love the celeste that Monk plays on 'Pannonica' on the Lp; but the tape just adds that extra energy and vivid liveness. this is one of those moments where the line blurs between recording and reality.

i love that cut.

the horns and piano have more texture and more subtle action on the tape and those drums really rock as Joe mentions.

this recording does demand your attention; it's all over the place and there is just so much going on in so many interesting ways (i'm not so good at articulating my meaning here, sorry) that with every listen it seems you are going down a new path of understanding. yet; it is easy to listen casually too.....but why would you want to?

this tape further blows away my previous reservations about mono recordings. this sounds real. check out Desmond's bass toward the end of 'Bemsha Swing'....really realy good on the Lp, magnificent on the tape.

i've listened to this two times all the way thru tonight already.....now it's 'turn down the lights' time......a wee bit of single malt Lagavulin.....and away we go again.

as Joe says, another home run!
Mike Lavigne

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
Re: Brilliant Corners is a gem!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 01:54:23 PM »
Well said Mike! I have listened to the tape 3 times through in the last couple of days. The Celeste positively sparkles on the tape, as good as it comes across on the LP (I only have and original pressing 33, have not heard the 45 rpm version), there is an other earthly shimmer going on on the tape. a real lights-down-low, bottle-of-bordeaux kind of experience.
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
I have to agree with Mike and Joe. This one exceeds all my expectations on how good this recording could sound!
I've only listened to it twice so far but the depth and impact off all the instruments really make you feel like you're there.

Monk's piano style always makes me feel like he's used to playing a less than ideal instrument. The way he grabs each note by the scruff of the neck and tosses it into the mix doesn't really fit into the category of touch. But, for the first time I can really hear some nuance to his attack of the keys. He must've been a nightmare to mic!
And the sound of the unison sax/trumpet have such life and force to it. Now I really wanta hear a jazz orchestra on a Tape Project tape!
And Max Roach,.. I've seen him live several times and I've never heard his characteristic drum sound portrayed as accurately.
I could go on and on, tune by tune, but I think you get the idea.

A huge thank-you has to be given to Paul for doing such a fantastic job on this one. This will have to be the definitive Monk release ever!

BTW, my Analog Productions cover looks washed out and almost sun bleached compared to this artwork. Thanks Joe and thanks Dan for keeping the bar high as aways.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:01:49 AM »
You folks are whetting my appetite for the album. It was sitting on my front door on Monday evening, just as we were leaving for a month!  So I'll have to wait to actually hear it.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »
Gee Larry,
I guess you'll just have to tough it out while you take a month long trip to China!
That's a place I've always wanted to visit.
I'm sure it's not all fun and games since it is a family visit but enjoy the trip!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline oneobgyn

• View Profile
    • Doctor's Rx
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »
Hey Doc.

Are there any more of these shipping. Everyone is whetting my appetite on this one.
There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
Tape Project Charter Member #088
Link to my system  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1049587927

Offline Dan Robertson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 03:05:39 PM »
Yeah, I feel your pain! I'm dying for mine here as well. My shipping confirmation was emailed a few days ago, with a delivery date of 12/4, so it shouldn't be long...

Dan

Offline oneobgyn

• View Profile
    • Doctor's Rx
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 03:34:40 PM »
At least you got a shipping notice.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »
A big stack of TP-013 (and also some TP-012 albums to recent Series Two subscribers) shipped this week and more will be shipping next week. We have recently replenished the inventory of reel flanges after a slight delay and we have enough on hand to do most, if not all, of Series Two. The pace should continue to be pretty steady for the delivery of the rest of the Series Two albums.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline oneobgyn

• View Profile
    • Doctor's Rx
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 04:55:39 PM »
Thanks Dan

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 11:11:53 PM »
This is it. The level of relism coupled with the quality of the music and the performance are such that you guys will have troubles improving it. You've raised the bar way too high!

Thanks!!!
Xavier Cortes

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 04:38:46 PM »
The remaining Brilliant Corners albums that have been ordered to date are being finished up as I type this and will begin shipping tomorrow. Everyone should have Monk for Xmas.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Greg Beron

• View Profile
    • United Home Audio
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »
At United Home Audio we just received our copy of Brilliant Corners, so I put it on for some guys that had accumulated in the store last Saturday afternoon.
I played it on a prototype UHA Phase6 deck through the MBL amplification and the MBL 111 speakers, (always a crowd pleaser).

The comments were...
"I felt like I was there at the concert"
"The weight and impact of the drums and the splash of the cymbals were spot on"
"The sax was so realistic that when I walked in the door I thought you had a real sax playing down the hall"
"Just unbelievable"
"Play it again"

We ended up playing it three times both tapes, I would say they liked it.
I took it home to listen to.
Don't worry I'll bring it back. 
UNITED HOME AUDIO
UHA Reel To Reel tape decks / High End Audio
WASHINGTON DC / MARYLAND / VIRGINIA
www.unitedhomeaudio.com

Offline Brian C.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 06:23:10 AM »
I first heard the title track on a radio broadcast from Radio Bruxelles. I was 15 at the time and it stunned me.
Playing TP-013 and I am stunned again.
I'll say nothing about the sonics but just observe that I am experiencing very powerful emotions.
My G-d, the outlay is worth it!
15 again...

Brian.
Brian Clark, One Inch Studio, London, UK.

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 09:36:01 AM »
I first heard the title track on a radio broadcast from Radio Bruxelles. I was 15 at the time and it stunned me.
Playing TP-013 and I am stunned again.
I'll say nothing about the sonics but just observe that I am experiencing very powerful emotions.
My G-d, the outlay is worth it!
15 again...

Brian.

I completely concur! This tape is a stunning rendering of this performance.
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!