TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Dissapearance of the tape head  (Read 4946 times)

Offline Brent Powers

• View Profile
Dissapearance of the tape head
« on: November 14, 2009, 07:42:48 PM »
Well, in my eagerness to get it right, I've gone ahead and cleaned the heads again, then demagnetized them again, following instructions as best I can, only now there is no sound, no signal, zilch. What happened? How have I gone wrong? Surely there is music to be found in all this.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Dissapearance of the tape head
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »
We get a number of questions about recorders. If you start a new thread, you need to remind us what machine you're talking about and what the original problem is. I can't remember if it was an Otari or Teac 3340s. Sorry.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Brent Powers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:57:25 PM »
Teac, Teac, it's only a Teac. How can it do this to me? A 3440. That's all I know. I degmagnetized the head and ... zilch. Gone. Am I alone in this?

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 09:33:01 PM »
Your problem is probably incidental to your cleaning.
You need to systematically start with the inputs connectors. Are the outputs of the Teac going to the inputs of your preamp? If so, try switching them what you think are the inputs of the Teac (sometimes the labeling can be confusing).
Also, try working all the switches in the signal path back and forth a couple of times to be sure they're engaging correctly. You could have a broken switch or iffy contact that has to be played with a little.
IIRC, you were getting stereo out of it before but you said it didn't sound very good. Are you sure that the selector switch is set to tape and not source? Could you have engaged record by accident? If so, then you may have erased the sound on the tape you're using to test the machine. Do you have another tape to test it with?
If not, hook it up to something and try recording something with it. While it's recording, switch between "Tape" and "Source" . There's also an output volume pot. It should be set at around one oclock.
If you don't have one, it's a good idea to get your hands on manual. You can download one for free here;

http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals.shtml

Your machine is particularly complex. You really need to spend some time with a manual to know the right settings.
In other words, relax and take your time learning this stuff. It's very unlikely that you've done anything that pushing the right button(s) won't fix.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Brent Powers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 09:48:55 PM »
Yes, thank you. that's what I'm hoping. Think I'll put it to rest for the night and come back with less inventive fingers or something. I don't know how I got into all this. I often wonder how a guy all thumbs and with an inclination to stick them into sockets and with no patience at all fell into audio geekery. Well, where I live, you gotta do SOME kind of geekery or the kids don't understand you. This is the Silly Valley, friends. We is immaculate autistic. We are grown in test tubes and let loose upon the world on a diet of Latte and Twinkies. Bummer for a reglar guy. Good night and thanks again. And good luck with me.

Offline Brent Powers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 10:20:47 PM »
Wrong button, boys. I had it on Source. No wonder I was hearing: EMPTINESS. For this I got out of the eighth grade.