Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Saturn 824 trouble  (Read 8742 times)

Offline mother_fox

• View Profile
Saturn 824 trouble
« on: November 16, 2009, 01:20:55 AM »
There is something wrong with my Saturn 824.
It powers up well and no LEDs or other signs of disfunction are visible.
The problem is this, it some times records and some times not. For example, if I record on one track successfully and when I move on to the next track nothing happens, no signal on the VU or what so ever and when i move back to try to see if it's possible to record on the recently recorded track problem for some strange reason occurs there as well.
Any how, in in-line mode the signal goes in to the machine and back to the desk and is audible, so there is nothing wrong on the amps.

The only thing I could come up with is if it could be a software problem but I'm not sure.

If any one knows what to do I would be very thankful.

//D A Franzon

SWEDEN

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Saturn 824 trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:04:07 AM »
Hi D A Franzon,
Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately, I agree, this sounds like a software problem. Have you tried to contact SoundCraft? They are a holding of Harmon International and still have offices located in the UK. In fact, Harmon is planning on moving the entire Studer facility there.
I would love to help you but I'm afraid that a 24 track, 2", software driven machine of that type is over the heads of most of the residents of this particular forum.

You may have better luck with your query on one of the professional forums devoted to magnetic tape recorders such as the Ampex List. I've seen mention of these machines there before and there is a great depth of knowledge about a great number of machines that can be discussed there.
The Ampex list is a list serve style forum. You can subscribe to it here;

http://recordist.com/ampex/

BTW  If you have a moment, I'd love to hear a little about this machine which may have been one of the very last large multi-track magnetic tape recorders produced. Do you see very many of these machines in use?

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Saturn824

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:54:29 AM »
Hi, D A Franzon,
This does indeed sound like a software glitch.
Have you tried performing a 'SHIFT-RESET' on the alignment panel yet? This should cure 99% of strange & 'silly' faults on this machine.
Hope this helps,

Cliff Lawrence

Offline analogarak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:30:20 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me locate operation and service manuals for a Saturn Research 624 2" 24 track. I am trying to help a friend bring one back into service after a few year's rest.
Thanks,
analogarak

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:59:52 AM »
Hey analograk (btw, we use our real name here. Please read Forum Rules),

If you aren't able to get some support from SoundCraft, you might try asking over at GearSlutz.
The only info I've been able to get on these rare machines is a thread over on Steve Albini's studio forum.
Unfortunately, it isn't very encouraging!

http://www.electricalaudio.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5760
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline ianprior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 01:00:37 PM »
Hi all i am new here i have a saturn 824 and need spare parts for it and need to get hold of Cliff Lawrence as with the recorder i got he is the one that looked after it from day one cheers Ian

Offline ianprior

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 12:35:20 PM »
D any of you no if you can take the proms out and read off them and program new ones as i no were there is a working 824 and can get new proms and a reader ????

Offline ianprior

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »
I have fixed the recorder but the pinchwheel as gone soft is there somewere that stocks them in the UK