TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Naylor at the Blue Note  (Read 4205 times)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Naylor at the Blue Note
« on: November 27, 2009, 03:45:03 PM »
Just wanted to say that my girlfriend and I caught Jacqui Naylor's late Thanksgiving night show, the last of her three day stay, at the Blue Note yesterday.

Jacqui (and her band) was awesome and have to thank the Tape Project team for bringing her to our attention. The lady can sing! She has a beautiful voice with great range, depth and an effortless quality. Her vowel work really impressed my girlfriend who's a trained opera singer. Also performing with Jacqui was 11 year old Michael Wong (He knows Doc!) on piano, keyboards and guitar. I can't even imagine being 11 yo and performing at the Blue Note!

Last night Jacqui did some familiar numbers from the TP tape release such as Summertime-though wish Michael had captured this new arrangement with Josh's drum solo! It would have kicked ass on our high-end systems.

Jacqui also did a variety of originals including her newly written song I'm a Lucky Girl as well as arrangements of some rock pieces from her other albums including REM (Losing My Religion), Pink Floyd (Money) and Bill Withers (Ain't No Sunshine). My personal favorite from the evening was Jacqui's "smashing tunes" arrangement of the Blossom Dearie inspired The Surrey with the Fringe on Top from Oklahoma done to George Benson's Breezin'. Simply spectacular!

The highlight of the evening was getting to meet Jacqui upstair at the Blue Note and have her sign her TP album! She was so gracious and charming - not to mention being tickled pink at being the first release put out by Dan and the crew.

What do you think Dan and crew. Another Naylor album down the road???

Don't miss her if she's in the neighborhood! Check out her website for tour info.

http://www.jacquinaylor.com/tour.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 04:53:28 PM by MylesAstor »
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Naylor at the Blue Note
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 04:45:57 PM »
I agree 100%! I don't think you can really appreciate TP 001 without seeing her live. Once you do, you'll be a big fan for life.
Kinda shocking what a great show she puts on huh Myles?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 05:11:24 PM »
I agree 100%! I don't think you can really appreciate TP 001 without seeing her live. Once you do, you'll be a big fan for life.
Kinda shocking what a great show she puts on huh Myles?

Have to say that my system doesn't do her justice :) Not that anything would either.

She put's on a great show-though last night the crowd was rather laid back. Must have been a lot of tourists!

Myles
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 09:54:23 PM »
Jacqui was here in New Orleans a couple weeks ago, and Mose Allison is here tonight and tomorrow!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.