Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: 1/4 track heads on a Studer A-810?  (Read 7531 times)

Offline draka1032

• View Profile
1/4 track heads on a Studer A-810?
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »
Has anybody done this? I have a 1/2 track A-810 and as thinking of getting another and fitting 1/4 track heads, perhaps Revox, to it for playback of my prerecorded 1/4 track tapes. Opinions?

Offline Tim

• View Profile
Re: 1/4 track heads on a Studer A-810?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 12:14:45 AM »
To the right of the capstan shaft, there should be enough space for a technician to mount a quarter-track play head.  A time-code head usually goes there.  A switch would then be mounted on the headblock to switch between the two play heads.  BTW, with servo-controled tape-tension, it's ok to mount a head on the other side of the capstan shaft.

I have performed this mod several times on the model A700.  It was actually designed for this, with pre-drilled mounting holes for the head switch and the extra play head. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:53:37 AM by Tim »
Tim Leinbaugh
Service Technician
with RTR specialty.

Offline Dan Robertson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 01:14:47 PM »
I had Steve Smith replace the record head on one of my 812's with a 4 track Revox playback head. Both 2 and 4 track playback heads are wired to bypass the internal playback electronics. This setup works very well for me, as I use the other 812 for recording.

Dan

Offline Teeg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:49:51 AM »
  How about 1/4 track heads on an A-80? From what others have said, it is supposed to be one of the smoothest transports as far as handling delicate consumer pre-recorded tapes.

Tj
T.j. Bassi  
    Martin Logan reQuests....Martin Logan Descent x 2....Atma-Sphere MA1 OTL amplification....Krell KPS25s digital front end....VPI Scoutmaster....Studer A80 VU MKII....Ampex 300-2 Tube/SS Playback "Ampexius Maximus"....Ampex MR-70

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:08:24 PM »
Although it is technically feasible to replace TC dummy heads on A810 and A80 with a quater track repro head, I would question the move of playing quater track (pre-recorded) tapes on machines with valuable 1/2 track heads that will make contact with the with tape as it plays quater track tapes - eventually causing 1/2 track heads wear...

I personally don't have enough numbers or qaulity quater track tapes to justify wear down of half track heads on my Studers, Sony APRs, or Nagra T Audios, etc.  I thought about converting the Otari III for quater track repro but decided to decidate a prosumer machine for the duty.  On the other hand, if you have a spare machine like Dan's extra A812, it would make sense.
Ki Choi

Offline Teeg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 04:16:33 PM »
 Ki-

I did not read the first post close enough.....the part about putting the 1/4" head on what is a 1/2" machine. I am taking delivery of an A80VU early next week, which is a 1/4" two-track machine. If was from this point I asked about the quarter-track head option.

In this case, is it a worthwhile mod? On my ATR-800, adding a quarter-track head to to the unit was not an easy (or cheap) job, as the machine was originally 1/2" converted to 1/4", the optional head switch was never installed. Perhaps easier on the Studer?

Tj
T.j. Bassi  
    Martin Logan reQuests....Martin Logan Descent x 2....Atma-Sphere MA1 OTL amplification....Krell KPS25s digital front end....VPI Scoutmaster....Studer A80 VU MKII....Ampex 300-2 Tube/SS Playback "Ampexius Maximus"....Ampex MR-70

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 04:31:31 PM »
Hi TJ:

Sorry I have confused you.  I was talking about half track and quater track heads and not 1/2" tape. 

The Studer A80VU has low impedence repro head than the A80 RC model with higher impedence head.  So you would want a matching 1/4 track repro head if you would proceed with the head addition.  I don't know of any compatible head from top of my head but you can study the Studer head list document and find one with similar impedence.  Send me an email, I will forward the document to you.
Ki Choi